Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Maintaining a level X carriage whilst loading filament?

Posted by Phytone 
Maintaining a level X carriage whilst loading filament?
June 29, 2016 01:48PM
So for 9 months I used a Bowden setup to feed filament to my hotend. This year I bought the E3D Titan and went direct feed instead of Bowden (mainly to improve quality of prints using flex material).

However, every time I now change filament, any pressure on the X carriage causes a slight movement (drop) on one of my lead screws - yes, I use 2. And I have to relevel the thing on nearly every filament change (which is around 3 times a day).

Each lead screw, has an openbuilds delrin block with a screw thread and a brass screw feed - see attached. How can I stop my X carriage dropping on the Z lead screw?

Thanks in advance...
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_2800.JPG (199.7 KB)
open | download - IMG_2799.JPG (173 KB)
Re: Maintaining a level X carriage whilst loading filament?
June 29, 2016 02:49PM
Something isn't right with your Z axis, are the steppers turned off? They should hold position. But print a couple of clips and just snap them on to the lead screws under the carriages, that will prevent them from moving down.
June 29, 2016 05:55PM
Thought I posted a reply..... but not showing. .

Yes, why didn't I think of that. .. The steppers are not live during heat up, that's the problem. On activation, they hold it solid.
Printer is not connected to a PC, just an LCD screen, which allows me to disable stepper. Whilst I can move the z a mm to hold it, is there any other way to turn on steppers?

I hadn't thought of the above. .....
June 29, 2016 09:59PM
If you use the panel to move the axis a little they will stay energized for a while.

I have never had an issue with that and I load filament with the steppers off.

Newbie with Folgertech 2020 i3.
June 30, 2016 12:49AM
You may want to consider switching to one Z motor. Here is how I did it.
[forums.reprap.org]
June 30, 2016 04:31PM
@Elwood
That looks so simple.... Got my parts on order!
July 01, 2016 01:08AM
Would it not be simpler to just make up a brace to support the X-Carriage during Changeovers?
July 02, 2016 01:16AM
The problem I had was that after every print I would home everything and the Z motors would always stop at different hieghts. After a few prints the x carriage would be off by more and more. Since switching to one z motor and a belt it can't change, ever. Much simpler leveling process now. One note, my belt has lost tension since installing it and I had to add a tensioner.
July 16, 2016 07:11AM
Parts arrived and fitted. Working with a home made belt, whilst one on order comes from Robotdigg.

So far, great - holding rock solid.
Attachments:
open | download - image.jpeg (75.9 KB)
open | download - image.jpeg (53.6 KB)
open | download - image.jpeg (59.9 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login