Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Z axis too high to start

Posted by PBZ 
PBZ
Z axis too high to start
June 29, 2016 09:52PM
Going nuts trying to figure this one out... After running fine for months, the Z axis on the Prusa i3v is now starting too high up above the print bed. I have re-leveled several times, but it does not help. This is affecting not just new prints, but code made months ago that has always printed fine.
Slippage in the rubber tubing joint between motors and lead screws would lead to a lowered head, not raised, so I guessing its not that. Anyone have any other ideas on where to look? It seems to be a repeatable height so it's some sort of offset based on the height of the limit switch??
Re: Z axis too high to start
June 30, 2016 05:43AM
There is a setting to offset the home position away from the endstop/limit switch.
Check if you have some value set there.
PBZ
June 30, 2016 03:56PM
No value set in the offset in slic3r. Checked (most?) of the obvious stuff first. Also, as mentioned, its affecting code that has been working for months, so i figured it was probably the printer?
June 30, 2016 09:54PM
Before you start a print job do you home the z-axis and test with a piece of paper between the nozzle and heat-bed?
Then when you start to print and the printer homes, what happens next? Does it just start higher than it should? By how much?

Slicing with Cura the standard start code homes, raises the head, primes the head then lowers back to print.
Slicing with Slic3r the standard start code homes, leaves the head down and starts to print.

Steve

My updated Instructable on our Prusa i3 Build
[www.instructables.com]
July 01, 2016 01:05AM
Check the endstop sensor, when mine started "acting up" the home position was getting set at 50mm above the bed! eye popping smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login