Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Two Tarantula.....Help!

Posted by Skip4357 
Two Tarantula.....Help!
July 13, 2016 03:22PM
Ok, so I ordered the Tevo Tarantula kit when it first came out. Kit didn't come with directions so I followed those on YouTube. Mechanically the printer works perfect and it appears to try and print. However, I can not get the print head to do a consistent feed. The plastic bunches up in the print head and then the drive motor begins to buck and not feed. I am new to 3D printing so don't know how to zero in on the problem. I purchased a replacement guide for the hot end thinking that may be the problem. Also a new main guide tube and .4mm print nozzle.

Since there are so many variables I thought perhaps someone could point me in the right direction. I am using Slicer 3D as my slicer program but it would be helpful to have a test print that has the correct parameters for a .4mm nozzle so that I can eliminate some of the variables. Any advice on how to get this thing up and running would really be appreciated. I am stuck!!!
Thanks for any help you can provide.
Skip4357
Re: Two Tarantula.....Help!
July 14, 2016 10:07AM
We need some more information.
Are you printing with PLA or ABS? And at what temperatures?
Have you mounted a fan on your heatbreak?
Have you calibrated the steps for the extruder?
Have you set the filament diameter in your slicer correct?
July 15, 2016 02:40PM
Hello, I am using the PLA that came with the printer. I have tried various temperatures from 190 to 225 degrees. All seem to give the same results. I have programmed in parameters on the Slicer program and have also tried to print various programs others have posted. I have also run the programs with and without fan cooling.
It does seem like the filament is tight in the existing print head. Perhaps the guide is too tight or distorted. I can han feed the filament through the print head and it seems to put out good plastic that way. What appears to happen is that the drive for the filament feeds and pulls back, feeds and pulls back. If the temperature falls during this pull back routine then the plastic freezes in the short guide in the hot end or sometimes in the nozzle. It's very frustrating because I need to take the print head off every time and clear the blockage, clean the nozzle and trim the main guide from the print head. Understand that there is a small gap between the short and long guides. Once the molten plastic gets between the guides this thing is stuck.
Also, my Tarantula has the filament drive motor mounted on the vertical support. It is not the type that has the drive motor right at the hot end so I am pushing filament almost 24 inches to the print head. Hope this clarifies.
July 15, 2016 02:53PM
On the calibration issue: I calibrated all axis but I am unsure of how the print drive motor should be calibrated. The parameters don't seem to remain fixed once they are set. Default had the feed speed max set at about 10000. I looked at some of the programs people were running and set it more in line with those values. However, I am really not sure what good parameters should be. I think if I saw that once with a program that one of you guys had printed I might be able to figure this out. Since there were no instructions for setup with the machine I am flying blind on what a good, printable program should look like. If I had a good program that would eliminate the software variable. Since I don't really know if this is a mechanical binding problem or a software issue.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login