Advanced

First printer build - some help welcome smiling smiley

Posted by ParalaX 
First printer build - some help welcome smiling smiley
September 08, 2016 02:24PM
Hello everyone!

-- If you want to fast forward, skip this grinning smiley

Since this is my first post, let me introduce briefly myself:
I'm Matthieu, from belgium, electrical engineer. I discover the workd of 3D printing a few years back, and since we have a printer (ultimaker 2) at work, I use it some times. However, I'd like to build my own printer since I can't print as much as I would like on the job.

For this 1st printer, I have several goals:
- Being able to print PLA and ABS (but mainly PLA)
- Under 300€
- I'm not looking for speed, or the better quality (I often use 0.2mm slices at work and it's enought for me...), but I want my printer to be reliable.

So, I looked at the kit available here and there, and was interrested into the Dela Micromake D1. But then, looking at different opinions, I concluded the following: You can't buy a kit and have reliable stuff. If something goes wrong, it's difficult to get the spares, and if you don't understand your printer, you won't be able to repair it.

So, I decided to learn and build mine spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

-- For the skipper, stop here! grinning smiley

Specificaly, I decided to build this prusa i3:
[reprap.org]

With this frame:
[www.thingiverse.com]

Also, I have access to a 3D printer for the parts (that I intend to print from here: [www.thingiverse.com]), and a laser cutting device to cut the frame.

First, here is my BOM. I hope I haven't forgot anything. Also, since I look at reliablity, I used
- Original parts for the hotend, motors and rods
- Buy spare bearing and LM8UU to select the best ones
- Go cheap on the electronic, then modify it with better connectors and eventually reinforce the power tracks

Here is the BOM:
Item Price URL_1

Arduino + Ramps + LCD 20,55 [fr.aliexpress.com]
DRV8855 6,35 [fr.aliexpress.com]
MK3 10,6 [fr.aliexpress.com]
E3D V6 Lite 30 [e3d-online.com]
Fan, 40mm 2,34 [fr.aliexpress.com]
Endstops 1,48 [fr.aliexpress.com]

Spare Bearing 624ZZ 1,1 [fr.aliexpress.com]
Spare LM8UU 6,12 [fr.aliexpress.com]
LM8UU, Bearings, Belt 13,81 [fr.aliexpress.com]
Springs 0,54 [fr.aliexpress.com]

Smooth rod 24,99 [www.reprap-france.com]

Threaded rods 19,99 [www.reprap-france.com]

Screws 21,27 [fr.aliexpress.com]
Motors 60 [www.reprap-france.com]

Shipping 14

---------------------------------------
Total 233,14

Finally, my questions:
- The Bom is missing the thermistor. What can I use? I saw there was a smd 1206 room in the heatbed
- Compared to the original design, I used a E3D v6 Lite hotend and a MK3 bed, instead of the original Hexagon hotend + MK2B bed. Will they work out of the box, or would I need change some parts?
- Will the frame be ok?
- I have a genuine 150W PSU (so no chinese watts :p), 12V. Will it be enough?
- Do ou think all the critical parts (I mean, for a good reliability) are ok? Would you change some things?

Thanks in advance to everyone!

Matthieu

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2016 02:55PM by ParalaX.
Re: First printer build - some help welcome smiling smiley
September 08, 2016 06:51PM
Looks Ok, for starting point.

ParalaX

Finally, my questions:
- The Bom is missing the thermistor. What can I use? I saw there was a smd 1206 room in the heatbed
100K NTC thermistor, like this kit: [www.ebay.com]
It goes to the hole at the center of the bed. Those SMD's are for LED and its resistor.

- Compared to the original design, I used a E3D v6 Lite hotend and a MK3 bed, instead of the original Hexagon hotend + MK2B bed. Will they work out of the box, or would I need change some parts?
Should be Ok.

- Will the frame be ok?
Not really, no. It is a fine frame, but it lacks top supports for Z-axis threaded rods. This means the whole weight of X-axis sits on Z motor couplings and it becomes a bit wobbly.
You might want to look at the P3Steel designs and modifications made by Toolson. [www.thingiverse.com]

- I have a genuine 150W PSU (so no chinese watts :p), 12V. Will it be enough?
Probably not. Get 350W PSU. Heating takes lots of power.

BTW, i have that frame you were planning to use, made from plywood. grinning smiley
Will replace it with P3Steel ASAP smiling bouncing smiley

EDIT: If you go with that frame. Get some thread lock glue for Y-axis assembly, because those nuts become loose eventually.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2016 06:57PM by Veesta.
September 09, 2016 02:25AM
Hi,

Thanks a lot for the answer!

Indeed, the prusa steel seems like a very nice design too. I like the fact that it's steel: heavy is good :p

However, I'll need to rethink a bit my BOM. I didn't have the change to check everything, but looking at here [scheuten.me] the difference seems to be mainly on the extruder?

Also, i'm not sure I see what those items are:
knurled nut, DIN 466 – M5: this? [www.ebay.fr]
extruder drive gear, MK8: this? [www.ebay.fr]

Regards,

Matthieu
September 11, 2016 06:58PM
Frame = frame, so you want it sturdy.

You can use pretty much any extruder you like, but maybe need to play with the X endstop location or glue a stick to the carriage that triggers your endstop. (I used and glued a 4mm drill, because MK8 extruder/motor did not reach the endstop)
Also you might need to build some adapter to X-carriage screw holes, because they are not standard between extruders.

Building a printer is not particular hard.
In simple, it comes down to two mechanical assembles and a computer.

The frame, that moves X, Y, Z.
And the Extruder that melts plastic and shoots it out from the nozzle.

Computer is needed to configure your firmware, which i thought was the hardest part all to find all the correct values for acceleration and stuffs. (Stuffs, like which way the home is and is it MAX or MIN endstop and do i need to change the logic from closed to open..)
Just to get it run stable (ish) grinning smiley

So, get some parts.
Start building it.
Encounter a problem. sad smiley
Solve it...
Repeat again. grinning smiley
September 13, 2016 03:53PM
Thank you for your answer smiling smiley

As you ay very well, diy is about doing, problem and repair, and this is what I love :p

But I wanted to be sure to have a good basis, because sometimes, things are just rubbish..

Now, with the p3steel toolson mk2, I think I'll have a very good basis, so i'll start with that. I'll keep you posted!
September 13, 2016 05:42PM
I'll muddy the waters by saying 2020 aluminum extrusion makes for a very sturdy frame.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login