Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Prusa i3 rework- Extruder stepper "grinding" and "stalling"

Posted by jessefilson94 
Prusa i3 rework- Extruder stepper "grinding" and "stalling"
September 19, 2016 03:52AM
Hello!

I am having a hard time getting my extruder stepper motor to run properly while running in a print. What I believe to be the problem is the working speed of this motor tied to the E0 speed in the firmware. I run the prints off the computer and the software I am using is pronterface. I am using 59Ncm motors on everything NOT including the extruder which is a 45Ncm. I haven't been able to get the extruder to run properly at all except while using manual commands directly from the interface.

Before I begin to try and run a print I extrude 5 cm of 0.4 mm filament using pla and at 30 mm/min, while my stepper driver is at 0.7 V. This works flawlessly there are no skipping problems or run off of any kind. So I was thinking since after this happens the change in the motor would be the speed and the difference between being controlled by the interface and ,while in the print, running off of the firmware speed. So recently I've tried running a print at 960,900 step/min & another one at 650 step/min. I still haven't found the correct way to fix this and will post a video of the problem. I built the printer myself from separately ordered parts and still working on the correct speeds in the firmware. I really appreciate any help I can get with this forum and any body experienced with these printers. I'm kind of lost with this and the same speeds haven't worked with either 59Ncm nor 45Ncm.

I've posted the link to show the printer trying to run below, let me know what you guys think!

[youtu.be]

Thanks!
Re: Prusa i3 rework- Extruder stepper "grinding" and "stalling"
September 19, 2016 04:49AM
Might be a wiring issue.
Replace/repair your extruder wire connectors.
September 19, 2016 09:10PM
I'm going to try that I remember that being the problem with the other Motors in the first place been awhile since I've messed with this printer.

Thanks I'll repost my results!
September 21, 2016 01:37PM
What kind of PSU? my theory is maybe your extruder is getting less voltage when trying to print than when just sending it commands due to the PSU being under load. Could also try to take away some microstepping and see how that effects things.

If you need some help, or don't understand what I just said, feel free to send me a PM anytime

Printer: Prusa i3, 2 E3D v6 Hotends, Arduino + RAMPS 1.4 with a Bypassed 5V Regulator, 400w Insignia ATX PSU, Custom Designed Bowden Extruders
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login