Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Using the LCD to control the printer

Posted by stan510 
Using the LCD to control the printer
November 15, 2016 06:13PM
I just finished building my Prusa i3 printer and have been running it using my laptop and Repetier Host. I must be thick or something but I cannot figure out how to use the LCD which came with the printer to control print jobs. It's all properly installed and I added an SD card. The screen is lit but that's all I get. How do you load a print job from Repetier to the LCD? I click on the SD card tab, check "upload current G-code" and click OK. The file dosen't appear where it seems it should and nothing happens. I must be missing something.
Any help or reference to a source of info would be appreciated.
Re: Using the LCD to control the printer
November 16, 2016 02:47AM
Actually you should see some information on your LCD, not only backlight.
Make sure the two ribbon cables are connected the right way. ( IMHO the biggest mistake RAMPS-Inventors could make, is using two identical cables)

Maybe you'll find a picture of the right connection somewhere in the Wiki

I just searched for "Ramps smart", but I don't know which lcd you got...
November 16, 2016 12:40PM
I found the display problem. The contrast pot on the back needed to be adjusted.

Now all I need to do is figure out how to load a file onto the SD card and be able to disconnect my laptop and have the printer run on its own.
November 16, 2016 02:14PM
Stan510,

run the slicer on the model file (making sure the settings are correct for your printer) and save the resulting gcode file on your laptop. Use an SD card reader to transfer the file to the SD card as you would transfer any other file. Eject the SD card and insert it into the printer with the printer turned OFF. It should automatically mount and read the SD card when turned on. If you want to change the SD card with the printer turned on then you will have to go through the unmount/mount routine on the printer. If it doesn't automatically mount the card on turn-on then go through the mount routine from the printers menu. Use the printer menu to select print file and then select your file and print it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2016 02:19PM by Supermec.
November 16, 2016 04:53PM
Thank you very much.I am almost too dumb for this project!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2016 04:54PM by stan510.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login