Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Not extruding (and x-axis rod length)

Posted by joemc3 
Not extruding (and x-axis rod length)
November 30, 2016 01:38PM
Below is an email describing x-axis rod length issue (fixed) and my current issue of my extruder motor not working. Figured I'd post it here in case it can help others (or if anyone has insight into my current issue).

Thanks for the quick feedback last week. I had contacted you about the x-axis rods being too long and you responded that it may be slag in the holes. It was (motor side, idler side was clear). 2 minutes with a drill bit and the rest of the build went as smooth as could be expected! This was a much better option than what I have seen others do (cutting the rods down).
BUT, now I have another issue. The extruder motor does not turn, thus no extrusion. I am not done troubleshooting, but I was wondering if you have any ideas. Here is where I am at so far:

Motor:
• The motor itself works fine. I swapped the connector with the x-axis motor’s connector and using Repetier I can move the motor in both directions as the x-axis motor.

Extruder Temperature:
• Before trying to extrude, the extruder tip is brought up to temperature (verified within a couple of degrees with an IR thermometer – variance is likely the thermometer’s accuracy)
• Verified that when you attempt to cold extrude, Repetier will log an error and not extrude. When up to temperature, I see no error (and still no extrude), so thermistor seems okay (and Ramps, Arduino, Marlin use of thermistor data)
• I can manually (not Repetier manually, hand and finger manually) extrude PLA by pushing it through.
• Tried temperatures from 175c to 220c

Stepper Drivers:
• Potentiometer sets Vref at .550
• Swapped stepper driver with extruder 1 spare – still does not work

Wiring:
• Extruder motor wired to ext0 (next to x-axis)

Could it be a bad RAMPS board? Is there a way I can configure Repetier to use ext1 as Extruder 1 (software has extruder 1 and 2, RAMPS / Firmware use ext 0 and 1) without firmware change? If firmware change, I’m assuming changes to pins.h (is there a simpler way in configuration.h)?

Has anyone else seen this?

Thanks!
Re: Not extruding (and x-axis rod length)
November 30, 2016 02:34PM
someone else had this problem on another forum, his problem was the extruder steps/mm was set too zero in the eeprom,
Fix was to clear the eeprom then reload the firmware
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login