Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Configuration for Home X, Y, Z

Posted by Lancedrg 
Configuration for Home X, Y, Z
December 15, 2016 03:10PM
I am a novice to this field. I completed the build and downloaded all the software. I am at the step where I am doing the manual set up of the X, Y, and Z. My printer is plugged in, my computer is plugged in to the printer. I click the home buttons and nothing happens. What do I do? Also, it says the X home has to be 1mm from the edge of the heat bed. How do I know where to put the heat bed? Confused and maybe sound dumb but any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Re: Configuration for Home X, Y, Z
December 15, 2016 04:21PM
please don't cross posts the same things in every section.

check the following.

Firmware: (presuming you have a ramp motherboard)

You have to set your reprap mother board to the correct type. #define MOTHERBOARD 33 for a normal ramps, or BOARD_RAMPS_14_EFB for new firmwares.

motors
move x in -ve direction head should move left, +ve direction head should move right.
move y in -ve direction bed should move back, +ve direction should move bed forward.
move z in -ve direction head should move down, +ve direction head should move up.

make sure these are correct (may not be able to move in negative direction until endstops work)

Endstop direction.

If your X end stop is on the left it is a min endstop, if its on the right its a max endstop.
if your Y end stop is at the back it a min endstop, if its on the front its a max endstop.
if your Z end stop is it the bottom its a min endstop, if its at the top its a max endstop.

Now set your homing direction to match you hardware

eg
// Sets direction of endstops when homing; 1=MAX, -1=MIN
#define X_HOME_DIR -1,
#define Y_HOME_DIR -1
#define Z_HOME_DIR -1

Switch type endstops
#define ENDSTOPPULLUPS needs to be set.
The switches should be wired from C and NC on the switch to S and - on the ramps.
Make sure if its a min endstop its on the min ramps pins and if its a max endstop it on the max ramps pins

use M119

This shows you what the controller sees for the endstops

manually test the endstops with a finger, don't home without knowing it works

When the endstop is hit, it should say triggered, when its not hit it should say open

If m119 shows its changing, but it triggered when its not and vice versa then change ENDSTOPS_INVERTING from true to false or false to true, ie opposite of what is it set to now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2016 04:26PM by Dust.
December 15, 2016 09:58PM
Hi Dust:

I have the following questions.

In what direction are you looking when you say left and right.

Are you looking down from above with the Y motor toward you?

Are you looking down from above with the Y axis idler toward you?

Are you looking from the front with the Y idler pulley closest to you and the X motor on the left?

Are you looking from the back with the Y motor closest to you and the Y idler farthest from you.

Thanks
December 16, 2016 03:03AM
From in front of the printer...

Are you looking down from above with the Y motor toward you? NO
Are you looking down from above with the Y axis idler toward you? NO
Are you looking from the front with the Y idler pulley closest to you and the X motor on the left? YES? (y idler can be either end, x motor can also be either end, depends who designed your printer. Most I3 type machines have it with X stepper on the left and Y stepper at the back)
Are you looking from the back with the Y motor closest to you and the Y idler farthest from you. NO

Just to be clear

X Axis is left to right movement
Y Axis is front to back movement
Z Axis is up and down movement.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2016 03:03AM by Dust.
December 16, 2016 10:22AM
Thanks for the reply. I have a Folgertech acrylic and have modified for the bed probe after which it didn't work anymore. I'll try to get it going after Christmas.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2016 10:24AM by Ecky.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login