Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Viable or Existing XAxis motor mount idea?

Posted by GRAYWOLF 
Viable or Existing XAxis motor mount idea?
February 10, 2017 01:04AM
I had a thought about separating the X the mounting points from the X-axis mount in order to move the motor out to tension the belt instead of having a separate tensioner on the other end or on the carriage.
Is this a viable idea or has this already been tried?
Re: Viable or Existing XAxis motor mount idea?
February 10, 2017 02:00AM
Have a look at my upgrade parts for my Prusa i3 Steel inspired printer [www.thingiverse.com]

The X-motor sits on a carriage on extended X bars.

Richard

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2017 02:02AM by RGN01.
February 10, 2017 12:56PM
RGN01
Have a look at my upgrade parts for my Prusa i3 Steel inspired printer [www.thingiverse.com]

The X-motor sits on a carriage on extended X bars.
[attachment 90316 e646c6e8501fee000b57035a9cd374ed_preview_featured1.jpg]
[attachment 90314 3ace77781742e02607e598c9f18f883f_preview_featured1.jpg]

Richard

Thanks, didn't think of springs.
February 12, 2017 09:57AM
1st attempt at a new mount.
Attachments:
open | download - motormount.png (218.4 KB)
February 13, 2017 07:56AM
Make sure that the Z slide is locked to the X rails firmly. If not the tension in the belt will try and pull the Z guides together.
February 14, 2017 01:10AM
MCcarman
Make sure that the Z slide is locked to the X rails firmly. If not the tension in the belt will try and pull the Z guides together.

I was hoping that the spring would compensate for that but I'm struggling to find spring suitable.
February 14, 2017 08:05AM
To try and be clearer, using RGN01s picture.
If the X guide rods went straight through the Z carriage then his springs will push the Z carriage to the right and it could move on the rods. The belt tension will pull the other z carriage to the left. you probably get bowed "vertical" sides.
If the X guide rods finish in the Z carriage and the motor is mounted on separate rods the Z carriage can't slide and you only need to stop the other z carriage moving.
The springs are only there to provide the tension in the belts. Belt tension = spring stiffness x spring compression distance.
February 14, 2017 03:21PM
MCcarman
To try and be clearer, using RGN01s picture.
If the X guide rods went straight through the Z carriage then his springs will push the Z carriage to the right and it could move on the rods. The belt tension will pull the other z carriage to the left. you probably get bowed "vertical" sides.
If the X guide rods finish in the Z carriage and the motor is mounted on separate rods the Z carriage can't slide and you only need to stop the other z carriage moving.
The springs are only there to provide the tension in the belts. Belt tension = spring stiffness x spring compression distance.

Yeh, sorry, brain crashed and misunderstood.
Also found an issue on the mount that I forgot to account for.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2017 03:22PM by GRAYWOLF.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login