Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Prusa i3 MK2 Non-Printable Source Files?

Posted by martinbogo 
Prusa i3 MK2 Non-Printable Source Files?
February 10, 2017 03:24PM
Hey all ...

The new Prusa i3 Mk2 has parts that I cannot find on the official github. I was wondering if anyone here knew where to find the DXF or whatever the source files are for the following parts:

* Y-Carriage
* Aluminum frame

I want to try to build an i3 MK2 from scratch, as a RepRap ... and I have access to a metal plasma cutter, a good CNC, and laser cutter. So, I could try my hand at making a steel or aluminum Y-Carriage .. but I'd like to start with the original design files.

-Martin
Re: Prusa i3 MK2 Non-Printable Source Files?
February 11, 2017 02:18AM
I haven't heard of a Mk2 Prusa i3 yet. Do you have a link?
Did you ask the owner of the github-page? Does the page look "alive" or is it an abandoned project?
February 11, 2017 03:08AM
The only MKII I know of is the Joseph Prusa official MKII.
The frame is pretty much the same as the MKI and I do believe that the carriage is also the same.
February 11, 2017 07:07AM
Nice!

i was thinking about doing the same thing.
but i would replace most of the frame with black aluminium extrusions ( based on a mod for the MKII : [www.thingiverse.com] )
so all i would need is the electronics and the y cariage.
i was even thinking about buying the upgrade kit from prusa research and completing it from there that way you would have almost the same result , why would i consider this? because i do think the mesh bed leveling from prusa is real nice.
and i would also like to up the max height to 35 cm +-.
so some custom things are needed but in short i want to make a MKII Extended with aluminium frame.
February 11, 2017 07:15AM
Retrotrigger
Nice!

i was thinking about doing the same thing.
but i would replace most of the frame with black aluminium extrusions ( based on a mod for the MKII : [www.thingiverse.com] )
so all i would need is the electronics and the y cariage.
i was even thinking about buying the upgrade kit from prusa research and completing it from there that way you would have almost the same result , why would i consider this? because i do think the mesh bed leveling from prusa is real nice.
and i would also like to up the max height to 35 cm +-.
so some custom things are needed but in short i want to make a MKII Extended with aluminium frame.

You do know that mesh leveling is in the current marlin firmware.
February 13, 2017 08:50PM
Sure -- the link is:

[shop.prusa3d.com]

I am looking for the base-plate design for the Y-Carriage.
February 13, 2017 08:52PM
GRAYWOLF
The only MKII I know of is the Joseph Prusa official MKII.
The frame is pretty much the same as the MKI and I do believe that the carriage is also the same.

I looked at the github for the MK1 and MK2, and compared it to the printer Prusa has for sale. The parts are different. The Y-carriage mount for the new Prusa i3 MK2 has a lot more holes and uses less material.

Prusa has said that his printers are Open Source ... but the only sources I can find do not fully add up to the printer he is currently selling. There have been changes in the last 4 years.

-Martin
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login