Motors chattering
February 14, 2017 08:09PM
Got a used kit and the whole thing was loose and put together hastily. I think I have it pretty good but when I boot it up I can connect and all is good but when I test the travel it chatters or grinding. It seems like they are moving back and forth. I reworded all the motors per the guide I had the coloring was wrong. Everything seems to work but to me it needs to be fine tuned. How do you tune the motors?
Re: Motors chattering
February 14, 2017 09:40PM
Ok Do the motors still chatter after you did the re wiring?

If they do it could be a number of things, the first is the stepper current without any information on what control board you are using I'll just give general information. On the stepper driver you will see a little turn pot, turing this clockwise will increase the stepper current. You want about 80% of what the motor is rated to. Be careful when doing this as you may short the driver, I recommend doing it with the electronics off. You can check the current with an amp meter with the positive probe on the turnpot and the negative grounded. if you have an A4988 and similar you want about 0.4 to 0.6 Amp

Another thing you could try is turning the max feedrate down in the firmware, again with no information on what firmware you are using this is just general. Open up the firmware file find the feedrate setting (ctrl +F will make it quick to find) and reduce the value, start with half you can always work your way back up, then re flash your controller and test
February 15, 2017 01:47PM
Thanks, question though. I found a video to test motors with an led. All the motors on the 3d printer do not light when I test like that but they were moving on the printer albeit with a lot of noise. Are they dead?
February 15, 2017 03:51PM
I dont know about testing with an LED, but if the motors make noise when given a command I'm going to say that they are ok.

Try changing the current and lowering the feed rate then report back if you are still having issues
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login