Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Questions about Original Prusa i3 MK2 parts in detail

Posted by Dust 
Questions about Original Prusa i3 MK2 parts in detail
February 23, 2017 05:42PM
Hi Everyone

Can someone with a real Original Prusa i3 MK2 answer some question relating to its parts?

Starting with the Y axis

What are the lengths of the smooth rods, they seem to be 330 mm, but I would like it confirmed
What is the lengths of both types of M10 rods?
The M10 Nuts, are these metal or nylon?
Re: Questions about Original Prusa i3 MK2 parts in detail
March 07, 2017 03:03AM
Some of the answers to yours questions are in the prusa clone videos on YouTube from toms3d
March 07, 2017 05:57AM
Yes I've seen that (about a week after I posted the question)

He confirmed the X,Y and Z smooth rods lengths (X 370,Y 330, Z 320) ,
For threaded rods his BOM lists
m8 4 * 205mm
m10 2 * 360mm

I presume he has added additional length for full sized nuts.

The nuts are defiantly not nylon

Cant wait to see what Tom does about the power supply and its printed box, which is also a structural part of the frame keeping the Z at 90 degrees to the Y

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2017 06:04AM by Dust.
March 08, 2017 11:23AM
are you building a mk2 clone yourself then? i'm really toying with the idea. sounds like fun.
March 08, 2017 07:21PM
I'm looking at converting the MK2 upgrade kit to a full printer. I have the upgrade kit. I have home made 6mm alu frames from the I3 version 1ish days.

The frame are slightly different.. (no mounting holes for power supply), not sure of dimensions etc yet. was starting with the Y axis and then there was going to be more questions..

But if I wait a little Tom may answer most question I have.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2017 07:25PM by Dust.
March 09, 2017 01:54AM
I'm goingtry and spurce the lot myself. I've got a 6mm alu frame on order, and two steppers with lead screws for Z. And a PSU, which won't fit but I will either modify the scad for the PSU cover or design my own.

I think I'm going to put a smoothieboard in it instead of RAMPS or another ramps derivative like Rambo.

Shame no one makes a bigger HBP, that's the less obvious bonus of the MK42 is that it's 260x260mm
March 09, 2017 05:28AM
Im sticking with rambo mini as I want the X/Y correction stuff (only in prusa mk2 firmware) and I already have plastic case for it smiling smiley

MK42 is only 250x210 printable area

I'm trying to remain as acurate to teh mk2 as I can (without going over board, like no need to have black threaded rods or nuts)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2017 05:40AM by Dust.
March 09, 2017 06:03AM
Fair enough. You need that mk42 for the x/y stuff. I'm less interested in that myself. Keep us posted on how you get on!
March 12, 2017 04:50AM
This may help you out

Orriginal Prusa I3 MK2 upgrate to full printer BOM, is a work in progress

[docs.google.com]

Will be updated as I build each section.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2017 04:53AM by Dust.
March 12, 2017 05:22AM
That looks really useful, thanks.
March 16, 2017 05:30PM
Dust, you don't happen to know which part make / model the end stop micro switches are so you?
March 16, 2017 08:03PM
Ill have a look tonight. They look fairly standard from memory, just no metal leaver
March 17, 2017 05:05AM
There is writing on the side and top.. but it very hard to read being very dotmatrix like...

Top says OMRON Made in China

Side says 3A125VAC 3A30VDC SS-3GL 13PT

googling the last number shows [www.digikey.com]
which looks correct. But without the arm.

Looking at the damage around the pivot points the arm was just ripped out with force

I would like to find out where they get their gt2 belts.. they are gorgeous compare to the crap from china

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2017 05:11AM by Dust.
March 17, 2017 05:28AM
Thanks for that.

It's odd that they just ripped the arm out. All these microswtiches are available with arm, arm with fake roller, arm with real roller etc. Why didn't they just order the right part?

I shall get these, or equivalents for my build. Tom Salanderer's cheapo build is using chinese endstop boards. Plus side of those is that they have an LED on, which is very slightly useful, but i'd really rather not modify parts except where i have to.

Have you started your build yet? how is it going?
March 17, 2017 05:48AM
I cant say for sure that they are removing the arms... its certainly look like they are, damage around the holes etc..
They do have the model without arms [www.digikey.com] (ie SS-3GPT with the L)

I find those leds on the endstop confuses people, they think because the led is on its triggered... not always the case. And if you plug those in backwards you short +5v to gnd and generally kill the voltage regualtor (on ramps)

Building Y axis tonight. Its together loosely atm

Haven’t looked in detail at what i'm missing yet for the rest of it... Working on one axis at a time smiling smiley

but as an over view I noticed;
there are some springs I need to source for the extruder... and the X belt I would like something better than what I have thus far from china...
I also know the power supply and its mount are yet to be examined... The two holes on the main plate to mount the power supply are also unknown measurement wise.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2017 05:59AM by Dust.
March 17, 2017 05:54AM
I've got a power supply but it's holes are nowhere near the holes in the frame. I think i'll just drill new ones when I get round to it. I will design and print a new cover for it - the prusa openscad for the cover is a bit of a mess tbh but you can get the precise location of the bit that sticks out and screws to the Y axis, so i'll copy and paste those bits and start again, shouldn't take too long.

I have some springs coming from china pretty soon. tracking says they've landed in the UK so hopefully they will arrive in the next day or two. What country are you in?

I'm far behind you in sourcing bits, but I have started printing parts. I have the Y idler and one of the Y corners so far!! I should be ready to build the Y axis in the next couple of days though, albeit without belt and pulleys. Then I can bolt the frame on and at least it will look nice, even though not functional.
March 17, 2017 06:09AM
Other end of the planet (Literally) New Zealand

You have access to a real mk2 frame? if you do can you document the position of those power supply mount holes. Everything else is same as the cad files I have (as far as I can tell so far)

I've been looking at the power supply mount openscad, its ok, apart from being hard coded values.
March 17, 2017 06:15AM
Not real as in prusa research. I bought mine from ooznest in the uk. It's been made to this dxf [www.ooznest.co.uk] - prusa say MK1 and MK2 frames are the same (hence a MK1 can be upgraded just fine)
Happy to measure anything you need me to.

PSU cover scad - indeed, so many hardcoded values and so few comments. It's really hard to deduce what each value represents to try to parameterize it. I started, but, not having an original power supply or an original printer or any drawings, I quickly came to the conclusion that it just wasnt worth the effort. It's far quicker to just make a new one, it's not very complex really and the only *important* dimension is the location of that attachment bracket for the Y axis, which is pretty clear in the scad.
April 04, 2017 05:48AM
The Lcd mounted up the front has longer than normal cables, anyone know how long they are?

> 300mm is all I know so far... would guess 370-380 ish area

Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks
April 07, 2017 05:40AM
The LCD cables are 700mm apparently.
April 07, 2017 06:33AM
Yours finished yet?
April 07, 2017 08:11AM
nah, just installing the LCD, following the manual in order. (its slow going when you have to cut screws down to length and make up custom ribbon cables as you go)

With some minor mods so my geeetech 2004 lcd display works in the mk2 lcd case. (knob and reset button are much shorter on my board vs the real ones) everything else lines up fine, LCD position, SD card position, screw holes, knob and reset buttons.

Think I have enough bits to finish it now though, excluding power supply mount and the printed adaptors for the lcd knob (yet to finish designing, but will be inside the case, so not noticeable)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2017 08:14AM by Dust.
April 07, 2017 08:16AM
Mine is basically assembled, I just need to design a case for the electronics and get it all tidied up. I've got a mk42 coming (I hope) from that indiegogo campaign.
April 07, 2017 08:24PM
That campaign worry’s me, at one point he is talking about changing the weight of copper... ie the thickness... you can't just do that as it would change the resistance making it useless..

He doesn’t come across as knowing what he is doing.

Also it seems to just be the PCB, you still need the mounting hardware and the PEI sheet.
April 08, 2017 02:01AM
No, there are two campaigns out there. One I agree with you entirely, the other seems good.

[www.indiegogo.com] Is the one who wants to use his funding to experiment,

[www.indiegogo.com] Is the one I'm optimistic will be a good bed. This is the guy that created filafab so he hopefully knows what he's doing.
April 09, 2017 04:44AM
So there are, I was not aware of the second one.. Not that I need one.

My MK2 from a upgrade kit is now assembled, everything is attached excluding the power supply, which will be separate for a while.

About to hook up power and start testing.
April 10, 2017 02:23PM
Nice. Can you confirm what the RAMBo case is printed in? I'm guessing it's PETG same as the power supply cover but not sure?
April 10, 2017 05:51PM
Yip defiantly printed and from its look (rougher finish, lots of strings) and its flexibility I would say it PET of some sort

I powered up my mk2, It all moves, heats up etc. Even passes the self test in Prusa's firmware.
April 11, 2017 02:06AM
Well done.

I've tested the X, Y and Z axis on mine, endstops and probe. Not wired up the extruder yet. I need to sort a case for the electronics to get the cables the right length.

Since I will hopefully be getting a MK42 I'm going to try and run prusa firmware on a ramps type board rather than getting a smoothieboard which is originally planned
April 14, 2017 02:15PM
Do you have the official prusa drive gear? If so, what are its dimensions, particularly the diameter of of the hobbed part?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login