Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

CTC Reprap Prusa i3 3d Printer problems

Posted by Bee69 
CTC Reprap Prusa i3 3d Printer problems
March 07, 2017 03:56AM
Hi Guys.
I'm a total novice at 3D printers. I bought a printer off Ebay and it's giving me a load of headaches.It was advertised as: 2017 Upgraded Full Quality High Precision Reprap Prusa i3 DIY 3d Printer.
The thing has not worked since I've had it. The board is a GEEETEC GT2560. and all seemed fine but the extrude motor does not work. I've tested the motor and the wiring and they are all good.
If I hold the filament it feels like it just twitches but not feed.the company sent me a replacement board but that was even worse than the original so I bought a new board and that's not working.
Any help will be much appreciated.
Adrian
Re: CTC Reprap Prusa i3 3d Printer problems
March 07, 2017 08:13AM
Clogged nozzle ? hot end not heating ? I have the same printer and aside all "being cheap" problems it was working fine. I'm also fresh on the 3d printing bandwagon, btw grinning smiley
March 07, 2017 08:32AM
Im betting Baron got it right with the "hot end not heating". You can't extrude unless the hot end is above a pre-set temperature - limited in firmware - and that temperature is sufficient to melt your material.
Don't know what material you are using but for PLA I believe you need about 160C and for ABS over 210.
A picture of the machine is always good.
Is this a direct drive extruder or Bowden?
Check the voltage setting for the motor driver.
Heat the hot end to the desired temperature and push the filament through by hand to prove there is no blockage.
For a direct drive check the throat on the hot end is not so far through the mounting block that it touches the gear and prevents it rotating.
March 07, 2017 10:58AM
Hi guys thanks for the reply. the hot end is getting hot. It's not clogged. I'm using PLA set the temp to 205. The drive motor is twitching not feeding.
This is the printer. [www.ebay.co.uk]

Thanks Guys
March 07, 2017 10:59AM
Hi guys thanks for the reply. the hot end is getting hot. It's not clogged. I'm using PLA set the temp to 205. The drive motor is twitching not feeding.
This is the printer.

[www.ebay.co.uk]

Thanks Guys
March 07, 2017 06:52PM
Are you sure that the filament is entered properly into the throat tube ?
March 08, 2017 11:48AM
Hi Supermec.
The filament is in the throat tube.
March 08, 2017 12:29PM
Can you push the filament thru the nozle (when heated smiling smiley )
Is that fitted with a plastic extruder ?
if it is i would sugeest upgrading to a all metal like [www.ebay.co.uk]

plastic extruders are known for giving trouble
March 08, 2017 12:43PM
when its heated yes I can. the problem is the stepper motor is not feeding the filament in.
I've changed the driver and its still the same.
I've checked the motor on a different axis and its good.
I've checked the wires and they are good.
March 08, 2017 04:05PM
How did you check the driver? Did you increase the current, direct drive extrudes will need more torque and power over a geared extruder.

Also I cant really see from the images provided on the ebay link, but is there a way to increase or reduce the tension on the extruder? Most have a screw with a spring that will bring the idler pulley closer to the feed gear when tightened

[printrbot.zendesk.com]
March 09, 2017 07:37AM
Hi guys.
I have not tried to increase the current as I've read it's a bit dodgy.
This is a link to my youtube posts.
Forgive the noise the bed clips are not in place.
[www.youtube.com]
Thanks
Adrian
March 09, 2017 04:20PM
Increasing the current isn't dodgy, its the people doing it when the board is powered on or are not careful with the multimeter probes, short the board out then complain that are dodgy.

Have a read, Link: [reprap.org]

Unplug the control board from the power and usb, turn the extruder driver turnpot clockwise a 1/4 turn, plug back in and take reading.

If your smart and safe about it nothing will go wrong
March 09, 2017 06:24PM
Have you removed the fan and tried just running filament through without going into the hot end or also with out filament to see if you have the problem
March 10, 2017 12:05PM
Hi guys.
Thanks for all your help.
Today I changed the stepper motor input for the extruder with the X axis on the board and its driving the motor just fine.
Its not the stepper driver board because I've got a few spares and its still the same with other stepper driver boards.
I've changed the driver and its still the same.
I've checked the motor on a different axis.
I've checked the wires and they are good.
So it has to be the main board. And it will not upload new firmware, it keeps timing out.
Adrian
March 10, 2017 06:10PM
I really dont think its the board, in your first post you say you are on your third control board, ether you are the most unlucky person ever and got three control boards with the SAME defect, or something else is the problem.

Testing the motor on a different axis is a good step, so now we know its not the motor.

Now as maxoverdrive suggested, remove the motor from the extruder assembly, and test the motor, there are two ways to do this, first you could leave the hotend in place, heat it up then test the motor, or send a M302 command to allow for cold extrution to test the motor.

Now if the motor does not turn then it could be the control board

But if it does turn you will need to increase the current on the stepper driver. direct drive extrudes require a lot of force to push the filament out the hotend so will need more current then the steppers that are used for movement
March 10, 2017 08:09PM
I have had the exact same issue on my MK8 plastic extruder, which seems to be the same you have on your printer.
The problem turned out to be the pin that holds the bearing pushing the filament against the wheel on motor shaft. It was broken.
I temporarily solved the problem:
- turning a metal pin out of an M3 screw (i have a lathe but you can just a chop off an M3 screw at the right lenght)
- drilling a hole where the plastic pin had broken off
- fitting the metal pin into the hole and using some superglue to keep it in place.
That pin is a design flaw. You can't expect a 3mm plastic pin to hold.
I recommend upgrading to an all metal extruder. You can buy one for 7$ or so from the Geeetech website.

Hope this helps.
March 11, 2017 03:26AM
Thanks for the info guys.
As for being unlucky I could fall in a barrel of tits and come out sucking my thumb.LOL
I will check out the pin. ( I've checked the pin now. It's ok)
The board that came with the printer is the one that is not pushing out filament.
They sent a replacement board that does nothing not even a light on the board.
The third board which I bought from Geetech arrived in a damaged jiffy bag with some flat bubble wrap.
Adrian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2017 05:37AM by Bee69.
March 16, 2017 10:07PM
Hello,
I have purchased this 3D printer, and it worked great to start with, but now I can not make the connection between the printer
and my computer, as it keeps asking for an API Key to be installed, and I don't know what this means. Can anyone help,
have a great day people,
Allan
March 17, 2017 08:24AM
Sorry Allen I haven't got a clue.
Adrian
March 18, 2017 08:37PM
Help,
Is there any one who knows anything about ( Application Programing Interface.) as I don't know where else to look.
Have a Wonderful day folks
Allan.
March 19, 2017 03:42PM
Hm?

Just to be clear.
Does the motor moves/running without filament?
March 19, 2017 05:25PM
Hi guys these are the first prints. Any help much appreciated.
Adrian
March 19, 2017 06:37PM
So you got the extruder motor to turn? What did you do? Its always nice to post how you fixed it so other people searching with the same issue don't need to start a new topic about the same issue ( In saying that most will anyway, This forum should be re named to the "Troubleshooting cheap printers")

As for your prints, what did you change between the three? its slowly getting better.

I would start with temperature and E steps then move onto speed and acceleration

Follow the reprap calibration guide LINK: [reprap.org] starting at step 4
March 20, 2017 01:48AM
the only way I could get it to work was with a new board. I had some good advice on here and I set the gap to 0.01mm and started with a hot end temp of 220 on the first print.
I reduced the temp to 217 for the second one and the third one was at 215 with a bed temp set at 62 witch I reduced to 50 mid print and I think it helped because the top half of the third print seams better.
So I think I'm getting there slowly. Has you said this forum is a great help.
I've ordered a metal extruder to replace the plastic one.
Thanks for all your help guys.
Adrian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2017 01:51AM by Bee69.
March 22, 2017 01:28AM
I guess that nobody is willing to help me. with my API problem, so I give up.
Have a great day people.
Allan
March 22, 2017 04:25AM
Sorry Allan I'm new to this myself. start a new thread.
Adrian
March 23, 2017 05:41PM
Allan
I guess that nobody is willing to help me. with my API problem, so I give up.
Allan

You would only need an API key if you were trying to print from a server. (At least that is my understanding)

As Bee69 said start a new topic, and you will find someone to help you. Important information to include in that topic

- Printer control board (If you dont know post a picture)
- Firmware make and version (If you dont know dont guess, just list the suppler for the printer)
- Software you are using to control your printer
- When is it asking for the API key, is it your OS (Windows, Mac, Linux) or the software you are using
March 31, 2017 05:37AM
Hello to all,
I have found the API Key, and it works, but I still can not get connected, as now it is asking for an IP Address,
and I don't know what this is, I hope some one can point me in the right direction.
Have a great day people,
Allan..
March 31, 2017 11:43PM
Personally, that sounded like your hotend was TOO CLOSE to the buildplate. Like many tiny ridges scraping against hard cold plastic.

Could stand to reason why you are so unlucky with your boards?

How well does it extrude if you start the print with a big gap between the hotend and the buildplate?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2017 11:44PM by VonRansak.
March 31, 2017 11:57PM
Allan
Can anyone help,
have a great day people,
Allan

Yes. Start a New Topic [imgur.com]

Then, start giving us more information by giving us 'screenshots'. This tool works well if on windows, imo. [support.microsoft.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login