Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Folger Tech 2020 i3 kit: Safety?

Posted by hunterrogge 
Folger Tech 2020 i3 kit: Safety?
March 21, 2017 07:25PM
I am looking at this 3d printer but I am worried about the safety. I know that some printers like the anet a8 have been know to spark or set fire in the power supply which could start a house fire. Does this printer have the same danger? If so, would replacing the power supply with a better one like a meanwell power supply make it safer?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2017 07:27PM by hunterrogge.
Re: Folger Tech 2020 i3 kit: Safety?
March 23, 2017 05:09AM
The problem with all 12V printers is that they draw around 12 Amps to heat a 140W hot bed and a further 3 to 4 amps for the 40W extruder. When all the current goes through the same power connector the total current is around 15 Amps plus. Unless the wires used are suitably sized and properly terminated for their connections, the connections can loosen with time as a result of heating and cooling. The eventual result of this is arcing and meltdown of the connectors. Note that this problem is not internal to the power supply itself, but at the connections for the 12V feed and also at the connections of that feed to the control board.

It is absolutely essential when dealing with this size current that the appropriate type and size of crimp-on connectors are used in order to minimise the internal resistance of the connections and prevent the wire ends from distorting. In the vast majority of the cases that I have come across, the problem has originated because bare twisted wire ends have been used to make the connections, which is a definite no no.

The other proviso is that just as tumble driers and dishwashers have a dry heating cycle and should not be left completely unattended, neither should a 3D printer. Some people will start a 15 hour print and then happily disappear off to work for the day and leave it.
April 01, 2017 12:16AM
I dabbed some solder on the ends of my wires going into the psu, before inserting into psu. That made them a little 'beefier' for that connection.

The real weak point, as in all these setups, is the Ramps board. The green, knock off Molex connectors are cheap. But a real Molex connector would cost more than your Chinese Ramps board...So...Price/Quality consideration.

Don't leave unattended till you are comfortable with your setup. You could always place in a 'fireproof' box on table not prone to fire if leaving unattended. Basic electrical fire safety should be observed.

Alternative Ramps board [diy3dprinting.blogspot.com] , but may be more feasible (economical) to use inline fuse holder and solder yourself as replacement to the polyfuses. [www.amazon.com] If that last part doesn't make sense, it will eventually winking smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2017 12:22AM by VonRansak.
April 01, 2017 02:52PM
NEVER solder wires going into terminal blocks as soldering them reduces the surface area of the wires that touch the contacts in the block. This can lead to high resistance in the only available points that current can flow through, causing heat at the terminal blocks and the risk of fire. I would highly suggest redoing any wiring on your printer has the tips soldered. smiling smiley

Folger Tech I3 2020 Wikia page: [folgertech.wikia.com]

Custom Folger Tech I3 2020 custom search
April 01, 2017 08:23PM
They are flat as a pancake after a little screw pressure (more surface area than w/o, lead solder is softer than the terminal blocks), but thanks for the advice/concern. I'll keep an eye on it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2017 08:23PM by VonRansak.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login