Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bed Adhsion

Posted by Bee69 
Bed Adhsion
March 31, 2017 11:02AM
Hi guys.
What do you use as a bed adhesive. I'm having with my prints lifting.
Thanks
Adrian
Re: Bed Adhsion
March 31, 2017 03:11PM
I'm using a 3D printing sticker I bought online. At first I had trouble with lifting frim this material too. But adjusting the hotbed temp solved the problem.
I started at 50 and raised the temperature to 55 degrees C. So I sugest you try raising the hotbed temperature (that is if you have a hotbed).
March 31, 2017 04:23PM
try a different masking tape.
When printing petG. I just scotchbrite to ruffen the tape a bit. Kind of breaking the shiny surface on the tape.
It makes it stick way better.
March 31, 2017 04:23PM
Thanks for the info. my bed is set to 70 by default. So ill start at 50 and see how it goes.
Thank you
Adrian
March 31, 2017 04:25PM
I'll try the scotchbrite in the morning.
Thanks
Adrian
March 31, 2017 07:12PM
For PLA I use blue painter tape with bed at 55C. For ABS I use buildtak with bed at 65C.

My updated Instructable on our Prusa i3 Build
[www.instructables.com]
March 31, 2017 10:56PM
Cutting drafts down can help too.
Depending on structure/thickness of part, rafters can be added/needed.

Most my stuff does fairly well just on clean (isopropyl alcohol on paper towel to clean) plate glass from the hardware store, with 4 walls (or almost fully enclosed) keeping out the drafts.

How does your first layer look? Print something for the first few layers, then kill the print. From the underside, you can see if the bed is level and if the print head is positioned along the Z axis properly.
April 01, 2017 02:08AM
Hay guys your all a massive help.
Thanks
Adrian
April 01, 2017 08:51AM
Ok guys I've done a lot of looking around on the net and I've taken all your advice and I've got the print to stick to the bed.#
I slowed the print speed down from 100 to 52% and it stuck. but it's so slow. I'm trying a new thing I've drawn in sketchup. It's going to take a while.
Cura said 18 hours but I've slowed it down by 48%
Thank you
Adrian
April 01, 2017 10:16AM
In cura, you can set the 1st layer speed independently of the normall print speed, i find initial layer speed of about 20mm/s with 0.3 initial layer height and 200% extrusion, bed at 50. This sticks extremle well to blue painters tape.
April 01, 2017 10:41AM
Thanks for that. I'll give it a try.
Adrian
April 01, 2017 09:45PM
I do the same as Obewan - in Cura set the 1st layer print speed to 20, the rest of the print at 45, though it could probably print at 50.
Use a low infill to reduce the print time, 15% is usually OK
April 02, 2017 03:21AM
Thanks
May 11, 2017 05:16AM
Elmer's PVA glue, (Elmer's glue all) - I was trying to print nylon filament on a heated bed covered with kapton tape. This works well with ABS but the nylon is a real problem. The nylon maker recommends PVA glue. Mix it 50% water/glue and paint on a cool bed. The heated bed will dry the glue and it should work on most surfaces, glass, aluminum, or kapton tape. Use a wet cloth to remove old glue and water can be used to release a stuck part. I have found that water pump pliers are a great tool to remove a stuck print - best to let the bed cool first.
May 11, 2017 09:00AM
Thank you all.
You've been a big help.
Adrian
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login