Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Over Extruding ?

Posted by Bee69 
Over Extruding ?
April 02, 2017 11:25AM
Hi guys I'm having no end of trouble trying to get my head around it. How do I stop over extruding. and what do I adjust and where to adjust. I'm using Cura to slice and printing from a SD card.
Thanks
Adrian

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2017 12:27PM by Bee69.
Re: Over Extruding ?
April 02, 2017 03:12PM
Grab a caliper and Mark the filament 10 or 100mm from infeed of extruder, then run a 10 or 100mm extrusion in the slicer. If your extruder doesn't extrude exact amount you will have to calibrate your E steps in the firmware. If the extrusion is the correct amount then reduce your extrusion multiplier in the slicer and do a trial print and keep adjusting until you get a perfect print, each filament type will have its own extrusion setting so learn how each material behave in order to achieve good prints with each one.
April 02, 2017 03:17PM
Thanks for the info
April 02, 2017 05:58PM
At the same time that you have the caliper out take a measurement of the filament diameter at intervals over about 1m. Work out the average diameter and set that as the filament diameter in the slicer. Print a label with the figure on and stick it on the reel for future reference. Some slicers default to strange filament diameters if you don't set them correctly. Calibrating the extruder as suggested by ggherbaz and inputting the correct filament diameter should solve your over-extrusion problems.
April 02, 2017 11:19PM
What Supermec said is absolutely correct and I forgot to mentioned in my post, putting the right filament diameter is key to prevent under or over extrusion.
April 03, 2017 02:06AM
Thanks guyssmiling smiley
April 03, 2017 12:14PM
You could also measure the diameter of extruded filament to make sure you have the right nozzle diameter setting in Cura.

My updated Instructable on our Prusa i3 Build
[www.instructables.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login