Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wanhao Di3, Mini-RAMBO motor problems.

Posted by ScarletImpaler 
Wanhao Di3, Mini-RAMBO motor problems.
May 08, 2017 12:45PM
Hello,

I'm currently upgrading my Wanhao Di3 from its Melzi board to the Mini-RAMBO and I got it mostly working. The problem is that the motors will only travel one way and not the other. I've tried all different combinations of wiring to the motors, but I kept getting the same thing.

Anyone know what could be causing this issue?

I am using the stock Wanhao motors, and the only other upgrades are a 200x300 bed, elongated Z-brace, and MicroSwiss hotend.

Thanks.
Re: Wanhao Di3, Mini-RAMBO motor problems.
May 08, 2017 05:54PM
nearly always endstops

check what the controller thinks is the status of your end stops with M119, any that are triggered, you cant move that way.
May 09, 2017 10:11AM
Well, damn, I didn't even think that, I expected them to work properly without them. I'll check the end stops angle next! Thank you.
May 09, 2017 10:52PM
If the endstops are configured as NO (normally open) the controller would work without them but most are configured as NC (normally closed) specifically so that if the endstop is unplug it triggers.
May 14, 2017 08:41PM
Alright, I got these going, endstops and motors work. Thanks! But I just found another interesting problem. The X-axis moves in reverse, it moves both ways now, but homing the X-axis sends the extruder carriage in the opposite direction of the endstop.
May 15, 2017 02:14AM
"but homing the X-axis sends the extruder carriage in the opposite direction of the endstop."

Option 1) Move endstop

Option 2) Adjust, printer settings, 'Home Xmin/max', and/or add -/+ to Xaxis movement in Marlin as needed.
May 15, 2017 02:14AM
"but homing the X-axis sends the extruder carriage in the opposite direction of the endstop."

Option 1) Move endstop

Option 2) Adjust, printer settings, 'Home Xmin/max', and/or add -/+ to Xaxis movement in Marlin as needed.
May 17, 2017 08:19AM
Luckily, the brace that held the X-axis endstop was easily rotatable, so that is figured out, and working great.

Tried to print and ran into another problem. The print wasn't staying in one spot, it started in one spot, and then each layer would be offset from the initial layer along the Y-axis (like the second layer would be about a 1inch off the initial layer, towards the back, and the third layer would be further up again, but still not on top of the initial layer).

I ended the print and played with the move axis commands, and the Y-axis seems lagging/sluggish/not smooth/maybe stuggling, for lack of better terms. I tightened the belt up (not too tight), but still had the problem. I also double checked rod alignment and lube.

My guess is either, or both, the board doesn't know it has a 300x200 bed, and/or the motor isn't strong enough or it isn't being powered well (my guess is the latter).

This is when another problem(s) occured. I couldn't get Repetier to connect properly with the MiniRAMBo. It connected, but I couldn't issue commands to it, and the EEPROM editing option was greyed-out in the menus. It kept on resetting as well. The second problem, is that Arduino IDE is being a complete pain. On my PC, it doesn't want to install the MiniRAMBo settings, and I have to keep deleting the Arduino 15 folder in appData to even run IDE. On my laptop, I keep on getting random compiling errors, that doesn't make anysense. One of them was a board name error in the Configuration.h file, I checked, and it had listed the proper info for MiniRAMBo. I restarted the program a few times, got a similar "impossible" error, but it was for something else. On both pc and laptop, I've tried installing and reinstalling IDE, but to no luck.... (I flashed over the board initially using a Marlin FW flasher program with a pre-assembled MiniRAMBo .hex file)

Luckily, this FrankenWanhaoPrusa thing is nearly working, and everything except the bed size and/or Y motor are working well. Thanks for all the help so far!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login