Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Newbie help please

Posted by Herri 
Newbie help please
May 14, 2017 02:27PM
3D

I am building a RepRap/Prusa/Anet type clone 3D printer. It came as a kit from ZHUHAI CTC ELECTRONIC CO., LTD
The instructions are in "chin English ". The build looks quite easy and I have been watching loads of you tube films on the mechanical stuff.
What confuses me is the software side. I keep reading about firmware updates, RAMPS and Andruino.
The motherboard just has 2560 printed on it.
A DVD is enclosed and has a Cura version 14.something which will not load on my computer. I already have Cura 2,5 and have been told that is ok.
I have been busy googling but ant find out anything.

1.Will the firmware already be built in to the motherboard?
2.Are the printer settings loaded together with the STL file from Cura?
3.Would I ever be able to change the firmware?
4.Why would I want Andruino?
5.Where can I find out about these issues, I cant find anything.

Many thanks
Re: Newbie help please
May 14, 2017 05:46PM
1) unlikely. Or will be old and you will want to update it.
2) printer setting are likely to be non exsistant. might be with old cura...
3) one would hope, but depends on what board you have
4) to compile and upload the new firmware.
5) GOOGLE.COM, or try reading some of the forums.
May 14, 2017 07:22PM
Hmmm. first off, I think you mean Arduino, not andrino.

1) possible but assume no
2) there are two different things. The printer configuration is in the firmware on the arduino. the print settings will be embedded in the g-code you generate with the slicer.
3) yes
4) arduino. it's the board the runs the printer and also the development environment (aka IDE) for arduino software. you want it. you need it. the printer firmware is built and installed with the arduino IDE
5) I second the google suggestion. Lots of stuff out there. Your claim you can't find anything says to me that you really haven't tried. try this one first. It's for an older version of the Marlin firmware but it should get you started understanding what you need to do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2017 07:26PM by seattle_phil.
May 15, 2017 02:07AM
May 16, 2017 11:32AM
Thanks for the tips/suggestions.
I have the printer built and all axis/bed/hotend seem to work fine so I'll keep at it.
May 16, 2017 01:56PM

1.Will the firmware already be built in to the motherboard?
I'd assume "yes" You don't want to be bothering about loading firmware till you have a reason. If you bought a new PC would you just switch it on or would you want to upgrade the firmware (which could turn it into a brick!)
Connect the board up and test the printer.

2.Are the printer settings loaded together with the STL file from Cura?
As I understand it, the printer can only interpret the GCode print file which Cura generates from the .stl file. All the speed, temperature, nozzle size, etc, etc info is held in a cura (or Slic3r, if you use that) config file.

3.Would I ever be able to change the firmware?
4.Why would I want Andruino?
Yes you can change the firmware, you need an Arduino code editor program which you can download. The microcontroller chip used in the printer is an Arduino. Your "flavour is a 2560. (Like mine) As I mentioned before, I don't think you need to upgrade firmware unless really necessary.

5.Where can I find out about these issues, I cant find anything.
Google is your friend plus check Youtube for videos. The firmware will only be an issue if the printer doesn't work. That's motors not driving or similar problems - I'd check wiring, connections, try swapping round driver boards or motors with firmware as a last resort.

I'd reckon most of your issues will be mechanical set up and Cura parameter tweeking.

I use Slic3r 1.34.1-prusa3d-linux64 for slicing to GCode and Repetier-Host V2.0.1 to send the GCode file to my printer, a Geeetech Prusa i3 Pro B.

Play Bonny!

Soadyheid.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2017 02:36PM by Soadyheid.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login