Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Filiment not extruding

Posted by PaulHacker 
Filiment not extruding
May 23, 2017 07:58PM
Hi,

I just built a RepRapGuru Prusa i3 v2. I have a level bed, voltages at .550, extruder at 220, bed at 70. Unless i manually push the filament through it does not extrude anything. Since I am new I am sure I missed something. Can anyone help shed light on this. Oh yeah Hatchbox PLA filament.

Thanks,
Re: Filiment not extruding
May 23, 2017 10:28PM
diagnose it methodically. does the stepper turn? Try loading a simple test program that runs the extruder stepper (google for test programs). if not, see what happens if you try the motor on one of the other drivers that you know works. if it still doesn't work look at the cabling. (it's kind of unlikely you got a bad stepper but not unheard of). if the motor is ok, try swapping drivers to see if it's the driver. On my RAMPS 1.4, I had a bad extruder 1 stepper connection somewhere on it or the arduino. I mod'd Marlin to use the second extruder for the first and it worked.
June 02, 2017 10:41PM
Are the screws for the filament feed tensioner tight enough but not too tight? The filament should not have a dent in it from the bearing. I use a bowden extruder, so this is referencing my setup. PLA is a bitch to print, at least it is for me with an e3d v6. The filament for me kept jamming up, so I cannot print with it. Does the extruder skip? That is a sign of a jam and filament stripping.
June 03, 2017 11:56AM
mlaustin66
. PLA is a bitch to print, at least it is for me with an e3d v6. The filament for me kept jamming up, so I cannot print with it. Does the extruder skip? That is a sign of a jam and filament stripping.

When using PLA you must have a cooling fan blowing air across the fins of the hot-end so there is no heat creep up the throat. Heat creep causes the PLA to jamb.
June 03, 2017 09:35PM
SteveRoy
mlaustin66
. PLA is a bitch to print, at least it is for me with an e3d v6. The filament for me kept jamming up, so I cannot print with it. Does the extruder skip? That is a sign of a jam and filament stripping.

When using PLA you must have a cooling fan blowing air across the fins of the hot-end so there is no heat creep up the throat. Heat creep causes the PLA to jamb.

I have a 30mm fan attached to and blowing on the e3d. It still jams. Maybe the thermal paste sucks, but it was just reapplied from a new tube.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login