Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Blue tape for the bed

Posted by Bee69 
Blue tape for the bed
August 07, 2017 02:27PM
OK I'm a newbie to all this 3D printing stuff and my printer came with blue painters tape over the glass.
I replaced that with ordinary (yellowish) masking tape. I have found that it works well but as you get near the center of the reel
where it is wound on a bit tighter it looses some of the usefulness. It looks a bit smoother but I did not mind because it's cheap.
The blue tape I bought from Ebay quite cheap (under a £5).
When I placed it on the print bed it looks like leather, the first two prints have gripped
the tape a lot better than ordinary (yellowish) masking tape. It seems to be easier yo remove as well.

Most of you will know this already but us newbies have to find this out our self's.
Thanks for reading.smileys with beer
Adrian
Re: Blue tape for the bed
August 07, 2017 03:16PM
Glad your finally getting some printing done,well done for your perseverance smiling smiley
August 07, 2017 03:34PM
Thank you and everyone else for the help.
I need to print out some anti wobble parts and a cooling duct. But it's all fun.smiling smiley
August 07, 2017 06:52PM
I assume you have a heated bed? Have you tried without any tape yet and a very clean (no hand prints or grease) bed? I have had really good luck with this setup(for Hatchbox PLA so far at least). I get the bed up to roughly 60C on the surface and PLA sticks well. The finish is like glass and even picks up a good reflection.
August 07, 2017 10:52PM
PLA on heated glass realy gives a nice surface finish, well worth the time of getting that first layer height right.

When you move on to ABS a sheet of PET works wonders, but if you want to be really cheap ABS juice is a good solution, about 1mm of ABS per 10ml of acetone, apply a thin layer when cold, never had an issue
August 08, 2017 04:05AM
Thanks Guys.
I will try them out
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login