Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Filament stuck

Posted by BobK 
Filament stuck
February 14, 2018 03:39PM
Very new to printing with Prusa I3.

I tried to change filaments, and my PLA filament became stuck. I cannot push or pull it, nor can the extruder. Tried heating all the way up to 260C and this did not help.

Help!

Bob
Re: Filament stuck
February 14, 2018 03:53PM
3D Printer have consumables they include nozzles, throat, thermisters and filament

These are part that do not have a long life. is would appear that since your is plugged you should replace the parts.

In the time Ii have been 3D Printing I have replaced 6 nozzles and PTFE throats that have died from use.
and my spare parts have plenty for just this reason.

You could take it apart heat the nozzle pulling the melted filament from the nozzle buy a cleaning bit set to clean the nozzle, but why the parts are so inexpensive.
February 14, 2018 03:57PM
Since I cannot even pull it out, I don't see how a new nozzle would help. It would be the entire hot end that I would have to replace. I hope I don't have to do that every time I change filament angry smiley

Bob
February 14, 2018 11:22PM
Something must have gone astray on this occasion. You should not have to replace parts very often. Thou sometimes complete hot-end disassembly is Necessary.
Without being there to see what happened, it would be anyone's guess as to what actually occured.
February 15, 2018 02:58AM
Before considering a replacement, I would start by disassembling the part where it's stuck (extruder or hotend).

Some chemicals and/or thermal treatment may help you cleaning the parts then, depending on the type of filament you have stuck in here.

Google for "cleaning clogged hotend" for a ton of suggestions.

Most of my technical comments should be correct, but is THIS one ?
Anyway, as a rule of thumb, always double check what people write.
February 15, 2018 05:19AM
If its got a PTFE tube in the hot end, its now melted and deformed since he brought the temperature to 260 which is its melting point...

Also PLA likes to carbonise at high temperatures... leaving a blockage of carbon.

So I would start with a study of the PTFE tube in the hotend

Need more details about your hotend to help further
February 15, 2018 08:15AM
Okay, I removed the threaded filament feed tube from the heater block, dipped it in boiling water for 10 seconds and the filament came right out. The PTFE tube appears to be intact and filament slides through it perfectly. So, nothing damaged apparently.

No idea why the heater could not free it the same way.

Bob
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login