Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

3dp 18 Power Cycle/Filament Error

Posted by darrenbarker 
3dp 18 Power Cycle/Filament Error
April 16, 2018 10:16PM
Good evening,
Got my titan aero extruder on and all works as it should. The extruder gear was turning the wrong way so I went into Marlin config and altered
#define INVERT_E0_DIR false to 'true' Now it turns the proper direction.

I get the extruder to temp and it can extrude no problem but when I go to start a print, it gives me a 'filament out' error. The filament is run through a Hictop sensor.
I put the filament in (even though it was never out) and hit 'resume print' and the printer resets.

I tried going around the filament sensor by just leaving a piece in it. I moved the filament sensor cable as far away and separate as possible to eliminate interference. Still happens.

Now, I'm sure there is a way to disable the filament sensor in Marlin but what I'm concerned about is this reset each time.

Everything else and all motion seems to work so I think my board is fine but the 'invert' for the extruder was the only change i made in the code.
Why does it keep resetting? I'm pretty good at trouble shooting and google but I don't where to look for this problem. Attached config file if anyone can see an error but I'm at my wits end.
I have switched the limit switch in the filment monitor, that didn't fix it. I switched the whole power supply and that didn't fix it. I really think it's code....

Thanks for any tips.
Attachments:
open | download - Configuration.h (59.4 KB)
Re: 3dp 18 Power Cycle/Filament Error
April 17, 2018 02:22AM
There was a thread lately with another guy having exactly? the same problem. Turns out, he used (semi-) transparent filament, which the sensor couldn't see reliably.
April 17, 2018 08:20AM
Hi there,
Yes, I did see that post but it didn't quite click with me because the filament monitor on a Hictop printer is a mechanical endstop. It's not a laser reading it or anything so I didn't see how that could happen in my situation. This is the same filament brand I've been using for a year and feeding through the same sensor, just a new extruder.
I will absolutely try a different kind and see if that fixes it as I am out of ideas. Thank you for the suggestion and I'll post my results this evening. Other than this, the only thing I can think of is to go back to stock firmware and see if that helps. I swear if that doesn't do it, I think I've exhausted everything.
April 17, 2018 09:18AM
I have had this problem and solved it, The problem first occurred when I purchased a Hictop 3DP12 24volt.
Then noticed that the same was occurring on my Hictop 3DP11 12volt though it happened very seldom it was still occurring.

I searched thru everything suggested, from changing the configurations to adding wires for a ground loop.

In the end I solved the problem by putting some Aluminum foil Duct Tape over the LCD cables along the T-Slot frame.
I moved the LCD from the top on the 3D Printer to front Using a 3D Printed case found I liked on thingiverse.
Cover the LCD Cables with something that is easily removed like printers blue tape. Then run each wire separately along a different side of the T-Slot.
I choose the Bottom for the SD Card and the Inside for the Display on the horizontal surface.
First I cut the Aluminum foil Duct Tape in half making two strips about 16 inches in length.
I laid the SD Cable center the T-Slot and covered with a strip of Aluminum foil Duct Tape trimming the edge of the tape alone the edge of the T-Slot to remove from sight.
I laid the LCD Cable center the T-Slot and covered with a strip of Aluminum foil Duct Tape trimming only the top edge and warping other edge along the bottom.

I have been running now for several months without any Problems.

Here is a list of problems I was having.
Filament run-out sensor, when filament was still present.
Garbage on the LCD display
SD Card read errors - causing failed prints.
Random XY movements - stop printing and homes Axis then pauses and returns to print.
Random Z movements - crashes - Nozzle dives into print.
Failed prints - Stops in middle of print.
Random Premature end of print before print is finished

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2018 10:07AM by Roberts_Clif.
April 17, 2018 10:31AM
I will certainly try covering and moving the LCD cables as suggested after trying a filament swap. This hasnt happened before and nothing with the cables really moved but... who knows with these Hictops...I feel like I've done all the hard work and I'm just missing something so simple that's causing a filament error followed by a reset. I sure don't want to go back to putting the stock extruder on after all this and 180$ CDN for the Titan. Lord knows I'd do that and still have the same problem.
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll post my results as soon as I undertake them.
April 17, 2018 10:50AM
And just because this is what I found wrong with my 3D Printers does not guarantee it is wrong with yours.

I move the LCD controller location because it was hard to get to quickly inside the enclosure, and it seemed like the next logical thing to do.
April 20, 2018 11:16AM
Last night:
1-Tried my tweaked Marlin firmware with the stepper inverted via code and still get the filament error and then a printer reset once it thinks filament is reloaded.

2-Went back to the firmware used for the last year with no issues and didn't adjust a single thing (left extruder motor turning the wrong way---so no code altered). Still get filament error and then a printer reset once it thinks it's reloaded.

3-I have two options left as I see it.

a-I use previously suggested aluminum tape to wrap LCD cables and filament sensor cable (so far I have just wrapped the filament sensor cable). As I'm getting the same error regardless of firmware, I am leaning towards the actual Titan Aero causing some sort of interference? Tried, tested and true firmware with nothing changed produces the same result, so I have to look at the only thing that was added, which is the Aero. So I guess I could wrap the bundle of wires coming off of the Titan with tape and try again. (not a lot of hope for this option but...)

b-I am only a year into this whole thing and I don't know a lot about Marlin and the board etc. The filament sensor, where it plugs into the board, is it possible in Marlin to switch the port it's currently plugged into, to a different unused port? I am wondering if the port is hooped. If so, which port would I use and which code in the config file would I change? An image of the sensor and port attached.

4-Barring all else fails, I put the stock extruder on and see if the error and the reset goes away. If it does, that leaves me knowing it's something to do with the titan aero . If it doesn't that tells me that at least that port on the board is fried and will have to buy another board.

Any help anyone can provide would be great because I can find nothing on the net about a filament runout error repeating and repeating and then resetting the printer.
Attachments:
open | download - 01.jpg (419.1 KB)
April 21, 2018 02:16AM
How do you confirm the filament was changed? Do you have to press the encoder button on the LCD? If so, it has often been a cause for shortcutting the 5V regulator.
May 04, 2018 12:02PM
To confirm the filament was changed, you push the endoder button on the lcd. It then extrudes and gives you an option to extrude more or continue print .
I had tried switching end stops out but that did not fix it, nor did aluminum tape on the cable as suggested above. I ended up starting with a fresh copy of Marlin and turning off the filament monitor.in the firmware. Possbily the firmware, possibly the port. I'd sure like to plug the filament detector into another port, but I don't know how or where to change that in the code.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login