Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RAMPS Heater Bed Issue

Posted by minor59er 
RAMPS Heater Bed Issue
June 08, 2018 09:11PM
Hi All,

Hopefully this is the correct place to be posting this.

Setup:

- Prusa i3 Rework.
- RAMPS 1.4
- MK2a PCB heatbed

Issue:

Heater bed only heats up to a 50 degrees before it cuts out.

Troubleshooting steps taken:

Tested the voltage on the heater bed output while the heater bed is heating up. Observed the voltage slowly dropping until it quickly drops to 0 volts. Upon further investigation, I noticed that the MOSFET (IRF3205) for the heater bed was overheating and shutting down.

I purchased a new RAMPS 1.4 board and tested heating up the heater bed but I let the magic smoke out on the MOSFET (P55NF06L). Just goes to show that having a MOSFET with a thermal shutdown is crucial in this type of application.

I swapped around the D8 and D9 MOSFETs and still having the same issue.

Thoughts:

This started to happen over a month ago and I don't know why. I've been running this set up for about 4 years with no issues. Recently I upgraded from Marlin 1.0.2 to 1.1.8. There were no issues at all and I have had many successful prints. So my thoughts went to the firmware in that I switched from bang-bang to PID control for the heater bed. I upload my 1.0.2 code again and I'm still noticing the MOSFET overheating and shutting down.

At this moment I am thinking of swapping out the 460 Watt PSU, but I am seeing a constant 12.3 volts on the RAMPS input.

Maybe I need to look into purchasing another control board besides the RAMPS.
Re: RAMPS Heater Bed Issue
June 09, 2018 02:03AM
Maybe your 4 year old MK2b has a shortcut somewhere?
June 09, 2018 02:21AM
I thought it was the thermistor or the PCB heater bed so I ordered a new thermistor and a MK3 Alu heater bed. Still having the same issue.

Maybe the MK3 Alu bed pulls too much for the MOSFET to handle.
June 09, 2018 02:51PM
On the cheap Chinese RAMPS I have always changed the heat bed MOSFET to a IRLB8743PBF

My last couple of builds I have been using a RAMPS from StaticBoards. Much better quality.
[www.tindie.com]

My updated Instructable on our Prusa i3 Build
[www.instructables.com]
June 09, 2018 11:20PM
SteveRoy
On the cheap Chinese RAMPS I have always changed the heat bed MOSFET to a IRLB8743PBF

My last couple of builds I have been using a RAMPS from StaticBoards. Much better quality.
[www.tindie.com]

Thanks Steve, I will try get a hold of some IRLB8743PBF MOSFETs. I will also try the RAMPS board from StaticBoards.

On another note, I switched to using #define BED_LIMIT_SWITCHING with #define MAX_BED_POWER 204 (80% duty cycle) and it seems to heat up past 50 degrees with no issues. May need to add a heat sink or a fan.
June 15, 2018 12:35AM
Just an update:

I swapped the IRF3205 for the IRLB8743PBF MOSFET that SteveRoy mentioned above and It was warm to the touch after the heatbed was heating up.

Next problem... The fuse!

When I was heating up the heatbed with the new MOSFET installed, I was still seeing the same problem as before but this time the fuse was over heating.

Any suggestions on a replacement for the XX30 UF900 bed fuse?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2018 12:35AM by minor59er.
June 15, 2018 12:55AM
Replace fuse on ramps with thick wire then install inline fuse for heated bed.
June 15, 2018 01:27AM
Thanks Dust, I will take that into consideration as a final option.

I don't know if anyone has experienced this before, but I just replace my server PSU with a MeanWell PSU, and I think the heatbed and fuse are doing better.

Could the server PSU start to have malfunctioned and somehow let more current through?
June 15, 2018 02:43AM
Current is pulled

Its possible the meanwell can supply less current and is maxing out.
June 15, 2018 11:14AM
The heat bed can pull 9 amps
I = V/R so 12V with a 1.3 ohm head bed is 9.2A

My updated Instructable on our Prusa i3 Build
[www.instructables.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login