Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Melzi to MKS GEN 1.4 conversion - Temperature and Zaxis issue

Posted by Gaz83 
Melzi to MKS GEN 1.4 conversion - Temperature and Zaxis issue
June 28, 2018 01:48AM
Hi All, total newbie here and I hope I posted this in the right section.

Anyway, so I am converting my Wanhao Duplicator i3 from a melzi board to MKS GEN 1.4 running Marlin.

Spent most of the week doing this conversion, hitting many problems.

The 2 problems I am hitting now is Temperature and Z-Axis

Z-Axis

Ok so I am using TMC2100 stepper driver and my motors are moons C17HD5039-06N
Being 2 motors to 1 stepper, I followed the indestructible tutorial to wire the motors in series.
Assuming that the these motors require 0.39Amps, I set the vref to 0.55 based on the calculator here [learn.watterott.com]
When I tried moving the z-axis, not only were the motors noisy but they seemed to work 1 at a time. i.e. to move 10mm you would see the right motor move say 1mm, then the left and repeat.
I rewired it a few times but nothing changed.
I then decided to wire them in parallel and put the vref up to 1.1. This fixed the problem of the motors moving independently.
Other than being really noisy when moving (never this noisy with a Melzi), sometimes it would move but slowly and sometimes would move at all. I could turn both motors freely so there is no resistance. Any ideas?

Temperature

I am using the MKS TFT 3.2 LCD
If I use the LCD menu to heat the hot end or the heat bed, I never see the temperature change and eventually get an error. They do seem to warm up as the hotbed was hot to touch.
So then I repeated this using Repetier-Host.
After about 1 min I receive the error "Error: Heating failed, system stopped! Heater_ID:bed"
Same happends for the hot end.
Re: Melzi to MKS GEN 1.4 conversion - Temperature and Zaxis issue
June 28, 2018 11:15AM
For the Z axis - it could be your DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE is set too high. In Marlin the default is 5 and needs to be 2 if you are using 5mm threaded rods for the Z axis

My updated Instructable on our Prusa i3 Build
[www.instructables.com]
Re: Melzi to MKS GEN 1.4 conversion - Temperature and Zaxis issue
June 29, 2018 03:03AM
I dropped to 2 and i also dropped the mm/s to 400. Other than being a bit slow, this now works great!

Fixed the temperature issue, i plugged the thermistors into the wrong socket. Most of the melzi board colour coding was correct but the thermistors were not doh!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login