Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Upgrading only Prusa i3 to MKS sbase 1.3

Posted by robotix83 
Upgrading only Prusa i3 to MKS sbase 1.3
July 14, 2018 05:04AM
Hi all,

I have an old Prusa I3 rework with arduino mega/ramps board that I would like to upgrade to MKS sbase 1.3 and touchscreen. Just wondering if it is a straight forward swap over or will there be issues? It is currently 12V which I would like to use initially to get it running and then eventually will upgrade to 24V. I believe I need to change the extruder, the wiring on the hot bed to suit 24v and the fans.

Have noticed that you can also get 24v 50w heater cartridges now, will these be compatible with the board without damaging it? [www.ebay.com.au]

I have also noticed that some run Solid state relays, is this the way to go? [www.ebay.com.au]

This is what I have [www.ebay.com.au]

Is there anything else I will need?

Thanks
Re: Upgrading only Prusa i3 to MKS sbase 1.3
July 14, 2018 09:48AM
Upgrading Ramps with an SBase on a Prusa i3 won't hardly make a difference. Especially when you keep the 12V PSU.
What are you aiming for?
July 14, 2018 07:05PM
I will be upgrading to a 24v supply eventually, or maybe straight away as I have it available. Just that my hot end is still 12v.

the sbase will give me ethernet and wifi connectivity and the colour touch screen, also seems like a better layout compared to the ramps.

I am aiming for quicker heat up times mainly and hopefully quicker prints.
July 14, 2018 07:34PM
robotix83

Have noticed that you can also get 24v 50w heater cartridges now, will these be compatible with the board without damaging it? [www.ebay.com.au]

I am curious about this item and if it is possible to use on a ramps 1.4 or ramps compatible card.

Computer Programmer / Electronics Technician
July 15, 2018 11:40AM
I have installed this MKS Sbase 1.3 and TFT on my heavily modified Prusa Geetech 6 months ago.
So yes, it works BUT don't expect it will print faster. The limiting factor is the Prusa mechanic. Mine is OK at 120mm/s and 180mm/s for proto and the old Sanguinololu could cope with it.
Going to 24V will speed up the bed heating.

Now be aware there is NO support for this board, you are on your own. The "vendors" are totally useless and in fact misleading. Smoothieware runs on it but they don't support it which is normal.
The board uses 8825 stepper drivers which are not the best although so far they seems OK for me.
The TFT screen is OK but nothing fancy, just look that way and in fact cumbersome to use. Typical chinese "logic".

I installed it just to play with a 32bits controller for cheap as it is not really justified to get a very good one.

"A comical prototype doesn't mean a dumb idea is possible" (Thunderf00t)
July 16, 2018 02:49AM
MKSA

I doubt it will be noticeable. At least when you have sufficient wires for 12V.
July 16, 2018 04:45AM
o_lampe
MKSA

I doubt it will be noticeable. At least when you have sufficient wires for 12V.

Most probably but going 24V can imply getting a higher power heating element. Anyway, the real choice to speed up this is going AC 110 or 220.

"A comical prototype doesn't mean a dumb idea is possible" (Thunderf00t)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login