Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Einsy retro/rambo?

Posted by msaeger 
Einsy retro/rambo?
September 03, 2018 10:53PM
So I have a folgertech 2020i3 (prusa i3 knockoff) it has been running fine for a few years but I am getting the urge to do something with it and I keep reading about how much quieter the Trinamic TMC2130 drivers are which led me to find the Einsy boards. I see there is a Einsy rambo which is the one used by Prusa on the MK3 and there is a Einsy retro. If I am reading the connector descriptions right here [reprap.org] and here [reprap.org] it seems like the rambo has no z end stop and you need to use the pinda probe right? Which would make me think I should get the retro one.

Are there any other differences between them?

Right now I am using mechanical end stops on X,Y, and Z and while I may want to get rid of the Z switch for something else in the future I wouldn't want to do more than one change at a time.

On the einsy retro what options would I have for probes? would it need to be a pinda or could it be a BL touch?

I would like to only change the arduino/ramps for the einsy and keep my endstops and keep running 12v would that work or what issues would I expect to see?

Has anyone went from a arduino/ramps to a einsy?

Newbie with Folgertech 2020 i3.
Re: Einsy retro/rambo?
September 04, 2018 12:21AM
You might find the 2130 aren't super quiet on 12V. They really get better on 24V.
September 04, 2018 07:55AM
o_lampe
You might find the 2130 aren't super quiet on 12V. They really get better on 24V.

Thanks for the info. That is disappointing I really do not want to change all of that stuff at once.

September 04, 2018 12:19PM
You would quite likely need to change your stepper motors too, because TMC2130 drivers can't handle as much current as many other types. They are optimised for use with higher inductance/lower current motors and 24V power. Please note, I don't know what motors your Folgertech printer uses, so they may be OK with the TMC2130 after all.

An alternative for you may be TMC2660 drivers, which have the same microstep interpolation as the TMC2130 but can handle around double the current, so they work OK with standard motors and even with some Nema 23 motors. They are fitted as standard to Duet WiFi and Duet Ethernet controllers (see note in my signature), and I think they may be available as add-ons to some other controllers. They are not available as stepstick-style plug-in drivers because they are too large and need an SPI interface.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2018 12:19PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
September 04, 2018 11:13PM
dc42
You would quite likely need to change your stepper motors too, because TMC2130 drivers can't handle as much current as many other types. They are optimised for use with higher inductance/lower current motors and 24V power. Please note, I don't know what motors your Folgertech printer uses, so they may be OK with the TMC2130 after all.

An alternative for you may be TMC2660 drivers, which have the same microstep interpolation as the TMC2130 but can handle around double the current, so they work OK with standard motors and even with some Nema 23 motors. They are fitted as standard to Duet WiFi and Duet Ethernet controllers (see note in my signature), and I think they may be available as add-ons to some other controllers. They are not available as stepstick-style plug-in drivers because they are too large and need an SPI interface.

Thanks I will check out that board. I hear so much about the prusa mk3 so I haven't looked at anything else. Not sure if I want to get away from Marlin either but looking at the duet forums the reprap firmware seems to have similar features. I would guess there is much more knowledge about Marlin out there though.

September 05, 2018 12:40AM

I would guess there is much more knowledge about Marlin out there though.

Compared to RRF, there are way more threads about Marlin stuff, but that's mainly because configuration is so messy.
Try out RRF and you'll never look back.
September 05, 2018 02:09AM
Most discussion about RRF take place on the forum at duet3d.com, not here.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
September 06, 2018 11:32PM
dc42
Most discussion about RRF take place on the forum at duet3d.com, not here.

Thanks I was looking at the forum a little bit. I see tons of videos, forum posts, how to's on Marlin stuff but I haven't really been looking for RRF and it's probably like o_lampe said it's just easier to use.

From what I have seen the configuration does look much more user friendly.

October 22, 2018 04:45PM
What is RRF. been a while since I’ve been in this forum.

Also, I M about 85% done building a belt-less printer (all lead screw) and about to decide on the controller. My previous printers have used Rambo or Mini Rambo. I don’t really care about the noise. I may go back to the Mini simply because I’ve had a good amount of history with it and am unclear about the benefits of the Einsy. I am also unclear on whether the steppers I am using will work with the TMC2130 drivers.

SHEESH.... I sound like an old man, scared to try something new.... but then, if the shoe fits.

Am I right to assume that the Einsy board does not use a regular end stop on Z?

Charlie.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2018 04:47PM by charlieRC.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login