Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Printer to CNC

Posted by erniehatt 
Printer to CNC
March 10, 2019 03:24PM
Hi I am convrting an old home built Printer to a CNC, the mechanics wiring etc are not a problem, What I am not sure of is where to connect the spindle to.
Any help would be highly appreciated.
Re: Printer to CNC
March 13, 2019 05:38PM
OOPs forgot to say what board I am going to use, it's a MKs Gen 1.4.
I suppose I could just keep the spindle as a manual operated item..
May 15, 2019 10:29AM
I use my cnc with a manually controlled (rpm wise) spindle and works well for me. I could connect the 10V control signal to the cnc controller board but it's not really a priority. It's nice to control rpm from gcode but not a must.
Normal 3d printer controllers don't have 10 control signals, it may be pisdible with an pwm based signal though, but it depends on how the spindle is driven, with a vfd or some other device.

--
Kind regards
Imqqmi

NFAN CoreXY printer:
[reprap.org]
May 16, 2019 03:15AM
Most CNC builds use GRBL rather than Marlin which is a smaller firmware allowing a lot of configuration to be done through the G-code rather than firmware. I run Marlin on a 3D printer and GRBL on a CNC machine connected to the default GRBL pins. I certainly wouldn't run a CNC machine on Marlin.
May 19, 2019 05:52PM
Why is this in "Prusa i3 and variants"

will you be converting i3?

Printing and milling Two extremes

......Printing -- little forces on mechanics all axes

......Milling --- extreme forces on the mechanics all axes ---- important

confused smiley
May 19, 2019 06:00PM
Thanks for the input, I see your point, But I have already gone off of that idea, and am building a fixed gantry style with two Nema23 to drive the Z axis with led rods, and single drive for the X and Y axis also with lead rods.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login