Z Axis Direction Challenge
July 01, 2019 12:29PM
Good day, everyone.

I am a Newby at 3D printing, and me and my son is doing this as a project, but this has us hooked already.

We have built a Tevo Tarantula.

The printer is setup, and the only problem we had while starting up was my Z axis that broke as it forced the extruder into the bed... sad smiley

We have tried a couple of prints, but have not gotten past the first layer or two. The axes all home correctly and the print starts well. at the second layer the printer starts dragging the extruder through the plastic. We have tried inverting the axis direction but then the axis tries to home to the top, or max position.

It seems that the axis turns correctly when homing, but then inverts direction when it starts printing, or tried to print to below the bed level. If I loosen the lead screw and turn the thread in the correct direction when it is supposed to raise, We get a poor 20mm test print, (atleast a couple of layers) but it works... The stepper keeps on stepping in the wrong direction though...

I found another thread on this in the forum, but the OP only reports back that his issue is now fixed, but never gives any indication as to what he did to fix it... What could be the problem, and how can I fix it?
Re: Z Axis Direction Challenge
July 01, 2019 02:17PM
If you manually move the axis using the LCD, does it move in the right direction? How about if you connect with something like Pronterface and send a G0 Z10 (for example) to raise the axis 10mm?
Re: Z Axis Direction Challenge
July 01, 2019 09:21PM
G3056
We have built a Tevo Tarantula.

The printer is setup, and the only problem we had while starting up was my Z axis that broke as it forced the extruder into the bed.
The first thing I did with my 3D Printer was to add A power Switch. This way I could turn it off before something broke.

G3056
We have tried a couple of prints, but have not gotten past the first layer or two. The axes all home correctly and the print starts well. at the second layer the printer starts dragging the extruder through the plastic.

It seems that the axis turns correctly when homing, but then inverts direction when it starts printing, or tried to print to below the bed level. If I loosen the lead screw and turn the thread in the correct direction when it is supposed to raise, We get a poor 20mm test print, (at least a couple of layers) but it works... The stepper keeps on stepping in the wrong direction though...

This could happen if your Slicer is set up incorrectly or incorrect wiring.
I would start with double checking all your wiring, and making sure that all your axis move in the correct direction with the LCD rotary knob.
You can only test the extruder when the temperature is above 170C unless you setup for a cold extrude.

Computer Programmer / Electronics Technician
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login