Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Maker Select Plus Board Change

Posted by AmenoBars 
Maker Select Plus Board Change
July 05, 2019 05:32AM
Hi all,

I attempted a BLTouch upgrade on my MP Maker Select Plus the other day. Completely fluffed it when doing the pins on the control board, turns out I suck at soldering (also got bumped by my niece and managed to pierce one of the driver motors).

Anyway, been looking at board options. My understanding with RAMPs is that it doesn't deal well with the 24v power supply without some modifications, so I've looked at others; specifically I've been looking at either the BIQU KFB3.0 or the SKR V1.3.

Looking at the boards and the inputs/outputs etc, I've noticed that they only have two for the power; a V+ and V-. The board that came with the printer, and the power supply, has 2 V+ and 2 V- for connecting power. My question is, how do this work? Do I remove one of the V+ and one of the V- cables, or is it another method?

Any help, or recommendations, would be appreciated
Re: Maker Select Plus Board Change
July 05, 2019 07:50AM
Two power inputs are normally split over what they power.

Most have one just for the heated bed as its a high current device the other is for everything else, hotends, steppers, controller fans...

One input is fine, as long as it is designed that way.

You will need to replace the power cables between the power supply and the controller with thicker wires. Large enough to hold all the current.
July 05, 2019 08:07AM
a picture of your controller board would also be useful for identification..
July 05, 2019 09:33AM
I figured I'd need thicker wires; am I correct in thinking that I need to do Wattage/Voltage to get the max amps and base the wire thickness on that?

I'm moving from the board that comes with the Maker Select Plus:

[www.wanhaouk.com]

And moving to the KFB 3.0:

[www.biqu.equipment]

If it helps, the power supply is:
[www.mouser.co.uk]
July 05, 2019 10:17AM
Ok its clearly a melzi variant.. but using a mega2560 chip.. very little documentation..

here is the really big version of the image

The main issue I see is your touch screen is not going to work.. since no one knows what it is, so wont be in firmware. (it may just be serial... but who knows)
July 05, 2019 10:24AM
That sounds about right. LCD wise, I'm not overly concerned. The board I've ordered comes with one, and from what I understand they have a Melzi firmware available that the LCD works with. But, I'm not too concerned about the LCD, I never use it and do everything Octoprint
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login