Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Installing Marlin firmware for Prusa (i3 MK3)

Posted by Starliner 
Installing Marlin firmware for Prusa (i3 MK3)
September 13, 2019 05:27AM
Hi all,
in order to test some Marlin 2.0 experimental features on my Prusa i3 MK3 I need to properly configure and compile Marlin firmware for my printer, so I'm here to ask you which is the best procedure to follow.

I think that trying to implement the desired marlin features into last official Prusa firmware is not the right way to reach the goal, but I'm open to your proposals

Thank you!

Understanding the universe since the last century.
Re: Installing Marlin firmware for Prusa (i3 MK3)
September 13, 2019 07:48AM
When I upgraded my Firmware to Marlin 2.0.x I simply took my earlier version of marlin configuration settings.
Then simply loaded both versions of Marlin configuration files into WinMerge and updated the configuration.h, configuration_adv.h and pins_Ramps.h.
This worked the first time, then slowly tested the functions, until finally achieving the best possible 3D Prints on my Hictop 3DP11/12 Printers Plus my MPCNC.

I make sure not to confuse the Marlin updates by changing the name between every test. I now have over 2 gig of marlin version backups.
Currently using Marlin2 directory in MKS sub-directory and a date code of 14April19 6:16pm.

Though who knows may need information in my first Marlin 1.1.0 RC8-Hic some day to help someone!!!

Computer Programmer / Electronics Technician
September 13, 2019 08:31AM
Hi Robert, thank you so much for your reply!
This is the first time for me in compiling official Marlin for my original Prusa, so I have no earlier configuration files and I have to start from scratch.

If I understand correctly I need, in broad terms, to:
  1. Download the last Marlin and Prusa i3 MK3 firmwares;
  2. Prepare development environment (as described here: [github.com] );
  3. Merge configuration.h, configuration_adv.h and pins_Ramps.h files from the two downloaded firmwares;
  4. Compile the modified Marlin firmware and upload it into the machine.

Is this correct?

Also, what about some extra configuration files that you can find into Prusa source code (ex "/variants/1_75mm_MK3S-EINSy10a-E3Dv6full.h")? My "fear" is that specifics Prusa configurations lie also in another files in addition to those that you have pointed out.

Thank you for your patience, I'm not a professional coder but I know my way with a little bit of support ;-)

September 13, 2019 08:42AM
If your updating a real mk3, then you need to use motherboard BOARD_EINSY_RAMBO

It not a ramps anymore.... so there is no need to edit pins_Ramps.h

most of the config settings in prusa firmware have been consolidated into 1_75mm_MK3-EINSy10a-E3Dv6full.h

Not sure the pinda v2 probe is supported in marlin... or the fancy auto skew calibration.

Prusa firmware is quite customized for the prusa printers... its marlins weird uncle.
You can't just compare config files that easily.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2019 09:07AM by Dust.
September 13, 2019 10:50AM
Thank you Dust!

Dust
If your updating a real mk3, then you need to use motherboard BOARD_EINSY_RAMBO
It not a ramps anymore.... so there is no need to edit pins_Ramps.h
Most of the config settings in prusa firmware have been consolidated into 1_75mm_MK3-EINSy10a-E3Dv6full.h

I'm aware about that.

Dust
Not sure the pinda v2 probe is supported in marlin... or the fancy auto skew calibration.
Prusa firmware is quite customized for the prusa printers... its marlins weird uncle.
You can't just compare config files that easily.

So, do you think that just trying to integrate in the original Prusa firmware some particular Marlin features can be easier?
(I roughly mean adding specific .h and .cpp files, definitions, codes and dependacies...)

My actual goal is just to implement G5 support (Bézier curves) into Prusa firmware, and I find really strange that no one has yet tried that kind of procedure!

September 13, 2019 11:45AM
Is there a design tool + slicer combination that can generate G5 commands, without the model being quantized into flat facets or straight line segments at some point and then back again? If there is, then I'll implement G5 commands in RepRapFirmware. If not, it seems pointless to me.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2019 11:47AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
September 13, 2019 09:27PM
Agreed...

Prusa MK3 is a more or less closed eco system.

Prusa slicer talking to prusa firmware. None of which generates or can use G5 commands.

Most people with a prusa MK3 just want to print, they have zero interest in changing anything. And why would you when you have one of the most reliable printers out there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2019 09:28PM by Dust.
September 16, 2019 02:37AM
Thank you dc42 and Dust for your contribution!

dc42
Is there a design tool + slicer combination that can generate G5 commands, without the model being quantized into flat facets or straight line segments at some point and then back again? If there is, then I'll implement G5 commands in RepRapFirmware. If not, it seems pointless to me.

About that it's dog chasing his own tail! We need to find a way out from this loop and overcome STL format, because not everyone is stuck to printing some pointless action figure (for example) and FDM printing today is choked by poor software. Moreover vector based printing has proven to produce a better print results, producing so mush less hardware vibration (especially on low end machines like Prusa.)

So, yes, I'm coding such tool but I need to test the generated GCode into my machines (Prusa and other high-end FDM printers.)
Anyway, I'm looking for some coding advice, more than considerations if it's worth it ;-)

Thank you

September 16, 2019 06:52AM
Starliner
About that it's dog chasing his own tail! We need to find a way out from this loop and overcome STL format, because not everyone is stuck to printing some pointless action figure (for example) and FDM printing today is choked by poor software. Moreover vector based printing has proven to produce a better print results, producing so mush less hardware vibration (especially on low end machines like Prusa.)

Citations needed.

It not choaked as far as I'm aware, especially on 32 bit machines. Unless you silly and create stl's with far to many polygons. That is user error.

"Moreover vector based printing has proven to produce a better print results" where ? citations and examples?

"especially on low end machines like Prusa" since none of these printers use vectors at all, how can you make this claim?

First thing I would do is get the prusa firmware and make sure you can compile it without changes... And test it.

Then you need to look into it, how it works... read through the code, get a feel for it.

adding a gcode itself is dead easy, so do that add a simple gcode that just echos back 'hello world' or whatever.

The hard part will be extracting the real G5 code from marlin and adding it into prusa firmware...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2019 06:59AM by Dust.
September 16, 2019 08:30AM
Dust
Citations needed.
It not choaked as far as I'm aware, especially on 32 bit machines. Unless you silly and create stl's with far to many polygons. That is user error.
"Moreover vector based printing has proven to produce a better print results" where ? citations and examples?
"Especially on low end machines like Prusa" since none of these printers use vectors at all, how can you make this claim?

Hi Dust,
you are right, we always need evidences.
My writing is based on my experiment, I'm collecting enough data to publish some kind of article; anyway there are some (very rare) info from people that had conducted some similar tests, for example: [www.cosineadditive.com]

By now I've experimented G2/G3 printing with Prusa and with an high-end RepRap based FDM printer, both supporting these commands; now I started coding a tool to generate Bezier G5 command from SVG or IGES.

With the word "choked" I mean about functionalities and hardware maximum exploitation, not about parsing/computing power.

Dust
The hard part will be extracting the real G5 code from marlin and adding it into prusa firmware...

Yes, this is the main matter, because I'm already able to modifiy and succesfully re-compile Prusa firmware, but I naively believed that someone already had tryed to implement some Marlin functionlities on these cheap printers.

Anyway thank you for your hints, I think this is a very interesting discussion.

February 18, 2020 12:51PM
Hello Starliner,

have you tried the Bondtech Firmware for the prusa Mk3, here is the link Marlin Firmware for Prusa MK3.
If i correctly understand it is that what are you looking for.

Kind regards

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2020 12:52PM by newbie71.
February 18, 2020 01:37PM
@newbie71

That is not marlin firmware, It is prusa firmware modified for Bontech hardware....
February 18, 2020 03:41PM
@ dust,

thx for the info. I thought it is a bondtech modified marlin firmware for the prusa because when you flash it and you start your Prusa you got the screen shown on the link
with Bondtech & Marlin. Here is the link to the firmware source code 3.8.1 Bondtech Firmware Source Code

Kind regerds

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2020 03:42PM by newbie71.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login