Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hictop 3dp-11 Shutting down when heated bed is turned on

Posted by Izzie 
Hictop 3dp-11 Shutting down when heated bed is turned on
September 13, 2019 12:27PM
Hi I have a Hictop 3dp-11 and it has started to just shut off if I try and put the heated bed on. I have tried a 12v 15A psu but it does exactly the same. I can heat up the extruder fine with no problems but if I try to do the heated bed the whole printer powers off and won't come back on unless I turn the power off at the mains and back on again.
Any ideas would be most helpful.
Re: Hictop 3dp-11 Shutting down when heated bed is turned on
September 13, 2019 01:26PM
Hello
I have a Hictop 3DP11/12 both have been upgraded threw most versions of marlin.
Have you tried to measure the voltage level on the power supply, controller and the bed heater terminals after you start the bed heater.

It could be that you have a bad Mosfet on the Bed circuit.

Computer Programmer / Electronics Technician
September 13, 2019 02:30PM
Hi Cliff

You actually helped me upgrade my board to marlin version 1.1.9 bug fix about 6 months ago after I had a bit of a rage fit, It has worked perfectly fine ever since then. I was actually printing put new parts for my new printer and I came back to it to find that the heated bed had shown a error due to thermal runaway and it has since not allowed the bed to power up without shutting down the printer.

I have just noticed that the controller board where the heated bed wires into seems to have gotten very hot as it is slightly burned at the wire connector blocks.

I can't even get a chance to measure the voltages when turning the heated bed on it shuts down right away within about 2 seconds.

Could it possibly be that which is the issue ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2019 02:31PM by Izzie.
September 13, 2019 09:09PM
THre are three thing that can cause this Thermister, HotBed and Mosfet.
I would check all wiring to these areas, I would test the Thermister and Hotbed. then I would measure the Mosfet for a short with the Bed disconnected
I have done some modifications to my Controller Board. #1 was to add a simple heat-sink to the mosfets.

You will Note the I have install a single Aluminum Strip with Transistor mounting hardware to the four Mosfets, I have also enclosed the controller inside a Case with a cooling fan.

The case STL file is my design and is free to download

[drive.google.com]

Other Items of good use for 3DP11
[drive.google.com]
[drive.google.com]
[drive.google.com]

Keep me in the loop we can help you trouble shoot this problem

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2019 09:56PM by Roberts_Clif.

November 20, 2019 01:41AM
Hi Cliff sorry it has been so long, work has got in the way and I haven't had time. I checked the wires and the hotend wires into the controller have gotten so hot that they have melted the wire blocks to the point I cant even undo the wires from the controller. Is there a replacement controller like this that would work with the printer.

[www.ebay.co.uk]
November 20, 2019 12:04PM
Yes there is On the Hictop Web Site here,

I would Install a Heat sink to all mosfets using a transistor mounting kit.
This controller is different It has the SD card Reader slot on the back, though will function about the same with the exception of the location of the SD card Reader.
I have purchased one though it has never been on a machine it is my Backup Controller.

You can also use an Arduino ATMega 2560 with a Ramps 1.6 this is what I am using on my MPCNC System

It appears that the original Controller without the SD Card Reader is no longer available.

If you never want to use the extra extruder you could also use the Ender Controller in a crunch or one of the CR10 controllers.
You would merely need to remove the standoffs drill new holes and install new standoffs to mount the controller.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2019 12:16PM by Roberts_Clif.

November 22, 2019 12:14AM
Thanks Cliff, I have ordered that controller like the one on the Hictop website and have some heatsink on the way too. Do you know if it will be possible to flash the marlin firmware that you gave me for the old controller to the new controller or would it need to be modified for the new one ?
November 22, 2019 10:56AM
I have indeed flashed the Firmware to the newer controller and have done basic tests on the bench though cannot remember if I ever installed on my 3D Printers.

I have sent this firmware to others who have installed and are currently using it on there 3DP11/12 3D Printers. Together with the forums help we will get it working for you.

November 24, 2019 04:52AM
Cliff if I flash the firmware that you kindly supplied me for the old controller to the new controller will I have to make modifications to the configuration file so that the SD card slot works on the new controller or will I just be able to use the one on the screen as normal ?
Hope that made sense.
November 24, 2019 10:34AM
Izzie
Cliff if I flash the firmware that you kindly supplied me for the old controller to the new controller will I have to make modifications to the configuration file so that the SD card slot works on the new controller or will I just be able to use the one on the screen as normal ?
Hope that made sense.

I can do some tests here to see what happens, Though I believe you are correct.

A Quick power up using a USB cable shows me that the SD Card does work on controller and not the 2004LCD.
Will need to search for information to change from Controller SD card to the 2004LCD card reader.

Any suggestions from the forum would be most welcome. The controller we use is " #define MOTHERBOARD BOARD_MKS_BASE_14 "

Controller Image

E-Mail Sent to Hictop for Help

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2019 12:23PM by Roberts_Clif.

November 24, 2019 01:05PM
Is there any chance that you could share the marlin firmware that you use as I don't mind what SD slot I have to use i just didn't want to flash the old controller firmware that you supplied me and the SD slot wouldn't work.
November 24, 2019 03:14PM
Izzie
Is there any chance that you could share the marlin firmware that you use as I don't mind what SD slot I have to use i just didn't want to flash the old controller firmware that you supplied me and the SD slot wouldn't work.

Here is a Google Drive of my Firmware, I am currently using Marlin 2 though all will work on the stock Hictop 3D Printers.
Hictop 3DP11/3DP12 Firmware
[drive.google.com]

I should mention that the Firmware posted are for a stock Hictop, my Hictop is modified Having a different Z-Axis Proximity Sensor and a Filament Run-out switch.
When installing Firmware on Stock Controller SD works on 2004LCD, When installing Firmware on new controller the Onboard SD Card Reader works and disables the 2004LCD SD Card Reader.

Marlin 2 is the older release it has a download date code of " Marlin-bugfix-2.0.x.zip 6Feb2019 5:16AM " is not the newest release of Marlin 2.
Marlin-bugfix-1.1.9.zip is I believe the latest version, an when I get a chance will update to the newest Marlin 2 release.
Unless someone else make the configuration changes for me then will make the necessary changes for my own modified 3DP11/12's keeping a Stock Hictop hardware's firmware safe.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2019 03:46PM by Roberts_Clif.

November 25, 2019 07:47AM
Found this!

Note: It is new version HICTOP main board, it is compatible with 3DP08, 11, 12, 16, 17, 18 etc, but when you use this one you will need to insert the SD card into the card slot on the main board instead of the one on the LCD

Now there must be a way around this, a way to swap External for onboard SD Reader Slot.

Schematic of 2004LCD shown below

It appears that the New Controller Circuit is close but wired to different Arduino Pins this means that I can change it.
Will look closer at pins_RAMPS.h section for SD Card Reader, as Both Controllers have the same pin-out for the EXP1 and EXP2 connectors.
Need to find how and where it selects the onboard SD Card Reader in lieu of the External SD Card Reader.

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2019 10:36AM by Roberts_Clif.

November 29, 2019 11:58AM
Hi Cliff if you can work that schematic out that would be amazing.

I found our original post where you helped me with rebuilding my printer the 1st time around on a different site eye rolling smiley which is here I am not sure if this is allowed to link to it but it shows the setup I have and I also downloaded the firmware that I lost that you kindly did for me last time.

If I was to take the configuration.h file from the old firmware and place it into the new v2 marlin would it still work ok ?

Old post link :

Just a side not I still didn't get round to doing the auto level sensor.
November 29, 2019 08:10PM
No. Marlin 2 they change some if the variable names.

You want Marlin 2 we can configure it for you from your config's

December 01, 2019 03:48AM
Could you possibly help me configure it as I am not very good with such things.
December 01, 2019 09:01AM
Sure I could walk you through it OR you can post a link to your configurations for Marlin 1.1.9BF to a share site like Google Drive.

I will load both configuration files into WinMerge and transfer the needed changed across.
You could do the same then when you get my changed configurations you could compare to see if your changes match mine.

December 02, 2019 01:56AM
You still have the old marlin 1.9 firmware hosted on you google drive that you did for me last time.
marlin 1.1.9BF_Busby.zip

I think looking at the old thread on the other forum I had to change a couple of small bits to stop layer shifting at the beginning after flashing the firmware but apart from that I think it was perfect.

If you think it would be better for you to walk me through the process instead of just compiling the new version then I am all for it, I just don't want to have to take up anymore of your time then is needed.
December 02, 2019 10:27AM
#define MOTHERBOARD BOARD_MKS_BASE_14
#define CUSTOM_MACHINE_NAME "Change Name"
#define EXTRUDE_MAXLENGTH 100

I have look at Marlin 2.0 - 3DP11-12.zip it is an older version Marlin 2.0.0 alpha I believe and is ready.
Remember after installing Firmware you will need to load firmware defaults "M502" and Save the changes using "M500" If it fails you can restore Marlin 1.1.9BF.
WARNING incorrectly Flashing firmware can lead to disastrous results.

When time available this week will convert to the newest Marlin 2 it will be posted in my Google Drive Marlin Firmware download area, I see Marlin 2.1 in development currently.
You should download WinMerge and at least practice with converting your Marlin 1.1.9BF to Marlin 2.0.
WinMerge has multiple windows were you can load one with Marlin 1.1.9 "Configuration.h" file and the other with Marlin 2.0.0 Alpha "Configuration.h" file.

Another program you should have is Notepad++ it will allow you to edit and correctly save your Configuration files.
Files that I changed were Configuration.h, Configuration_adv.h and pins_Ramps.h

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2019 11:09AM by Roberts_Clif.

December 30, 2019 12:24PM
Hi Cliff I tried to convert the marlin 2.0 and the newest marlin but I kept getting errors when trying to compile it so I ended up flashing the version that you had done before for me so I could test the new controller out.

Everything seems to work as it should apart from when I printed out the calibration cube the heated bed temp would not stop at 50c once it started printing.

It took just over 33 minutes to print it out and by the end of the print the heated bed had rose to 73c with the original heated bed so I changed it out for one of the other ones I had and it did exactly the same thing.

I am a bit confused as to what has happened as I have changed the heated bed and also the controller.

Apart from that issue it seems to be working as it should, when it is heating up to get ready to print the heated bed heats up 1st and will maintain the 50c temp while the extruded is heating up.

Also my new controller is identical to my old one apart from it is a MPX.3 and the older one was a MPX.1.
December 30, 2019 09:32PM
Which version Marlin did you flashed.

By The Way some times you have to Send a M502 and A M500 from terminal mode to restore the Firmware's configuration to memory.

OH!!! I should have mentioned where the Original Firmware is Located
Hictop Home Page
[www.hic3dprinter.com]

Under Resources / Firmware you can always download the Original Firmware _ This is in case you did not know.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2019 09:39PM by Roberts_Clif.

December 31, 2019 04:51AM
I flashed the one that you did for me which was the marlin 1.1.9BF_Busby.zip which worked fine before I had to change the controller board out to the new MPX.3.

I will try sending M502 and A M500 and see what happens.

Is the firmware from hictop marlin ?

Thanks cliff.

Tried the commands via simplify3d terminal and I see them go across with replies of ok but it didn't make a bit of difference.

I even watched it from the terminal command window and tried to change the bed temp from there but it wouldn't stop climbing even if I told it to switch the bed off.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2019 05:57AM by Izzie.
December 31, 2019 07:28AM
Lets see if we can determine why your hot bed is not keeping a constant temperature..

You have two different controllers that will allow the bed temperature to creep upwards.
I this a problem you have had from the beginning?

On my 3D Printers I had the Power Mosfet's getting extremely hot this is why I added the Heat Sink. to the Controller.
I also added a cover case to the controller with a fan for additional cooling properties.

Can you measure an see how hot the Mosfet gets when it start to runaway.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2019 07:38AM by Roberts_Clif.

December 31, 2019 10:02AM
Ok after sitting there and switching the hot end on and off and then the heated bed on and off they both work as they should do, this is on the new controller board.

I then turned on the heated bed and hot end together and let the temps get to where I set them to. Then I turned on the part cooling fan.
As soon as the fan was switched on the heated bed temp began to rise. So i turned off everything and let the temps cool down and then only switched on the fan and the heated bed began to rise on it's own and kept going till i stopped it at 45c by turning the fan back off.

I double checked all the connections and they are correct, I even tried flashing the hictop firmware and it does the same thing.

I then unsoldered the heated bed terminal connector block (Green terminal Block) from the original controller that came with the printer and soldered wires directly to the VCC and the ground then used a normal electrical connector block and put the heated bed to the other side of it so it made a join.

Then I connected everything to the original board which still has the same marlin firmware that you kindly supplied me. Then using the terminal interface sent the M502 & M500 commands exactly as I did with the new controller so that everything is the same.

Turned on the part cooling fan and it worked as expected no heated bed temp rising, then turned it back off put the hot end on and then the part cooling fan it still worked as it should then I did both the heated bed and hot end and part cooling fan and it works exactly like it should do no temp increase on the heated bed at all.

So now I am totally and utterly happy, confused and disappointed as I don't have a scooby doo as to what on earth is making the new controller turn on the heated bed when the part cooling fan is turned on confused smiley

Only thing I can think of is that maybe the new controller shares the same track for the heated bed as the part cooling fan and it is being told to turn on when the fan is active and that there is possibly a setting in the marlin firmware that has to be changed for it not to interfere with each other but I have absolutely no way of working that out as you know I don't understand the firmware.
What I understand about the firmware you could write on a pinhead and still have room.
December 31, 2019 11:40AM
Izzie
Marlin 1.1.9BF_Busby.zip

I think we might Have the wrong Firmware
Try Marlin-1.1.9BF-v2.Zip

After I got Busby firmware to specifications some how overwrote the original file.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2019 11:59AM by Roberts_Clif.

December 31, 2019 08:07PM
Do I try the Marlin-1.1.9BF-v2.Zip on the new controller?

And Happy new year smiling smiley
December 31, 2019 08:29PM
At this point I would leave the working controller alone until I got the 2nd controller working,

Yes, I would try firmware on the new controller. Though the other should have worked with it, you may have a defective controller.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2019 08:31PM by Roberts_Clif.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login