Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ADVICE: Frankenstein i3 rebuild

Posted by disneytoy 
ADVICE: Frankenstein i3 rebuild
May 10, 2021 06:24PM
Greetings!

This is a very DIY i3 clone I build from a Thomas Sanladerer youtube series awhile ago. I never got it completely running. It has a RAMPS 1.3 + Mega board, A4988s, Dual Z.

Take a look at the parts I have as options. I would like to get it running as an experimental printer. Like a 1mm nozzle of the dual hot-end I have. I'd rather not spend more $$$ with all the parts I have on hand. I don't know if it would be worth building a new frame for it?

Any ideas would be appreciated

Max

I have:

24v PSU
Mini 12864 RGB display
MK8 Hotend
2 in 1 out 24v Hotend

As for boards:

The Ramps 1.3+ Mega (attached)

Creality 1.1.2 8-bit board from my Ender 3

Creality 4.2.2 32-bit board from my Ender 3

MKS Robin E3D

Original A4988s

I have a SKR 1.3 which has a 5th driver which would be required for dual extruders.

Also, I have 2 original Creality plastic bowden extruders

And I have a dual gear Creality Aluminum extruder on the way.
Attachments:
open | download - i3-project.jpg (708.2 KB)
open | download - i3-project-2.jpg (234.2 KB)
Re: ADVICE: Frankenstein i3 rebuild
May 11, 2021 03:31AM
Ramps doesn't do 24v with modifications.. so scratch that
The Creality 1.1.2 doesnt not support your lcd (needs 2 * 10 pin connectors, board only has one.... can be hacked to work, but needs custom cables and you loose sd card on lcd)

The MKS Robin E3D and the SKR 1.3 are good.

The Creality 4.2.2 is limited and not well documented... I wouldn't recommend it.. Also doesn't support your LCD

One question is what is the voltage of your heated bed?
Re: ADVICE: Frankenstein i3 rebuild
May 11, 2021 04:17AM
I guess I could get a new heated bed, or I could use an external Mosfet driver module I have with 12v.

Interesting, I thought the Voron folks often use RAMPS + Raspberry Pi to run Klipper. I can't imagine they run off 12v?

I guess the Firmware doesn't matter. I was going to save the SKR to run Klipper with a Pi Zero W.

It would be fun to run the 2 in 1 out hotend on this.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login