Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Upgraded to 1.1.9 and z homing is reversed.

Posted by Trike 
Upgraded to 1.1.9 and z homing is reversed.
February 10, 2022 12:09PM
I've been struggling with this for a few days and just can't figure it out. I had a really old build of Marlin V1 from 2014 and I wanted to replace the problematic servo probe with an inductive probe. Printer worked fine before the upgrade besides the inconsistent servo probe. I added the (blue tip lj12a3-4-z/bx) inductive switch with a voltage divider and m119 shows it triggering as expected. I used all the old settings from the old configuration file in 1.1.9. XY homes correctly but when homing Z it goes up instead of down. Moving Z up and down in pronterface moves in the correct direction. I've also tried inverting the z min endstop and unplugged the sensor, verified m119 showed as open and homing still goes up instead of down. I attempted to compile my old marlin version but can't because I'm missing an old u8g library and can't seem to tip it. Inverting the z axis does make it home in the downward direction, but regular movements are reversed. If I swap arduino's to my old marlin version, it homes just fine, so I know it's a firmware issue, but I can't figure it out. I'm hoping someone here has some suggestions.

I've tried enabling and disabling the Z pullups, but doesn't seem to make a difference.

This seems to be a common issue with most people saying to check the endstop invert parameters, but that isn't helping or missing something very obvious. I verified with m119 before homing z and it shows as open, so it isn't triggered before homing. I manually touch the bed with the probe while it's homing in the wrong direction and it does stop the z axis. it's just going in the wrong direction.

This is on a i3 rework printer with a ramps 1.4 board.

This is the relevant config I have in 1.1.9 and matches my old 1.1 version besides the additional defines for the fixed probe which didn't exist in the old version. I have attached my full configuration.h file as well.

#define Z_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING true
#define Z_MIN_PROBE_ENDSTOP_INVERTING true

#define Z_MIN_PROBE_USES_Z_MIN_ENDSTOP_PIN
#define FIX_MOUNTED_PROBE

#define INVERT_X_DIR true
#define INVERT_Y_DIR true
#define INVERT_Z_DIR false

#define X_HOME_DIR -1
#define Y_HOME_DIR -1
#define Z_HOME_DIR -1

Let me know if you need anymore info, I've been pulling my hair trying to get this to work.

Thanks!
Attachments:
open | download - Configuration.h (72.2 KB)
Re: Upgraded to 1.1.9 and z homing is reversed.
February 10, 2022 08:35PM
Have you tried to invert the Stepper direction here
#define INVERT_X_DIR true
#define INVERT_Y_DIR true
#define INVERT_Z_DIR true

Computer Programmer / Electronics Technician
Re: Upgraded to 1.1.9 and z homing is reversed.
February 11, 2022 12:46PM
Hi Robert,

Thanks for the advice! I gave it a try and it didn't work. All the axis were reversed. Oddly enough after I reverted the direction back to what I had it before, it started moving in the correct direction. I didn't change anything other than the Invert values. Awesome, that's one problem solved.

Now, I'm running into another issue. The Z probe offset is not working. After I home z, when the probe comes back down to 0, it'll stop when the probe triggers. I have the Z offset set to -1 from turning off software endstop. But not matter what values I change it too, z movement towards the bed will stop once the probe is triggered after the initial z homing and not any lower. I've tried setting it to +/- 5-10mm, but nozzle always goes at the same point after homing, basically stops when the probe is triggered. I've made sure to send m500 to save the settings and rehome, but n matter what z offset I set it to, it always stop when the probe gets triggered after homing. Changing x and y offsets seem to work no problem. just not z
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login