Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

hi

Posted by bgkdavis 
hi
August 15, 2015 07:09AM
Just dropping in to say hi.

Since building my Mendel 3 I've found that I'm spending a lot of time printing small parts, and when printing big parts it ties up the printer for 5 or 6 hours

So, decided to add a fisher, this will leave my Mendel for large parts, multi extruder work and ABS

While waiting for the hardware kit to arrive Ill start printing the parts

Any one got tips for printing my own parts or part mods?, is it worthwhile printing in ABS or is PLA fine?
Re: hi
August 19, 2015 12:42AM
Going to start printing the parts this evening ready for the kit which should arrive next week.

I think I'll break the build down into 4 plates, maybe 5, first do 3 plates of axis parts, then do the rest on a 4th plate.

Is it worth doing anything in ABS? maybe the effect or/hot end? I don't really see myself using the Fisher for anything other than PLA.

RepRapPro Mendel 3 Tricolour
RepRapPro Fisher
-Carbon Arms
-Easy adjust Carriage+effector
-axis stiffness mods
HE3D -600 delta
-Duet 0.8.5
-PanelDue
-DC42 Height probe
-RobotDigg metal components
Simplyfy3D
RS Design Spark CAD
August 19, 2015 03:02AM
I think that the PLA is enough as no parts requires heat protection.
But as it is said "who can do more can do less"
August 19, 2015 07:29AM
Just done the first axis set, but noticed that the Extruder parts were missing from the plate files, and I cant find the logo files (part 1260)

Also noted the printing instructions are incorrect I'm going to need 3 carriages (part 1240) not 1

Anyone know where I can find the logo file

RepRapPro Fisher
-Carbon Arms
-axis stiffness mods
HE3D -600 delta
-Duet 0.8.5
-PanelDue
-DC42 Height probe
Simplyfy3D
RS Design Spark CAD
August 19, 2015 09:56AM
Hello smiling smiley

Some extruder parts are laser cut...

As for the number of carriages notice the "repeat" at the end of the chapter..

I would say that pla is strong enough.

Cheers smiling smiley
August 19, 2015 07:57PM
Yes, the the hotend is mostly laser cut, and the build instructions do say repeat, I'm trusting that the laser cut part will arrive with the kit, atm I'm concerned with the printable plastic parts, which I would like to have finished by the time the hardware kit arrives.

The quantities in the printing BOM were incorrect (have now been corrected) and despite further searches I've not been able to find the logo files.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2015 12:50AM by bgkdavis.

RepRapPro Fisher
-Carbon Arms
-axis stiffness mods
HE3D -600 delta
-Duet 0.8.5
-PanelDue
-DC42 Height probe
Simplyfy3D
RS Design Spark CAD
August 20, 2015 12:52AM
The logo isn quite necessary.. It just looks neat smiling smiley.

Since it is open source, i think there wont be any problems asking RRP to send/publish the remaining files.

grinning smiley happy building
August 20, 2015 07:59AM
The logo is part #1248. It's in the 'sw' folder as a SolidWorks part, but we appear to have neglected converting it to an STL. We'll update add it when we get a chance! In the meantime, you can open it with the free Onshape online CAD program, and export as an STL from that. Other CAD programs may also be able to open SolidWorks files, but I'm not sure which.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
August 21, 2015 12:57AM
thanks, you may also want to look at the part number in instructions, its listed as part 1260 not 1248 otherwise I would have found it

RepRapPro Fisher
-Carbon Arms
-axis stiffness mods
HE3D -600 delta
-Duet 0.8.5
-PanelDue
-DC42 Height probe
Simplyfy3D
RS Design Spark CAD
August 22, 2015 02:54AM
OK.....now what grinning smiley

RepRapPro Fisher
-Carbon Arms
-axis stiffness mods
HE3D -600 delta
-Duet 0.8.5
-PanelDue
-DC42 Height probe
Simplyfy3D
RS Design Spark CAD

August 22, 2015 08:52AM
Hey! Looks good..

What are the round things for smiling smiley?

Cheers
August 22, 2015 08:59AM
They are an idea for a spool holder, when completed they will form the upper and lower plates of a bearing race, I've got a box full of 1/2" ball bearings that I'll fill the groove with and then double side tape the race to the top plate and sit a filament spool on it.

There is a spigot part to the design but I've not printed it yet, may have to print a few spigots to suit different spools

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2015 09:00AM by bgkdavis.

RepRapPro Fisher
-Carbon Arms
-axis stiffness mods
HE3D -600 delta
-Duet 0.8.5
-PanelDue
-DC42 Height probe
Simplyfy3D
RS Design Spark CAD
PRZ
August 22, 2015 02:50PM
I am a bit late on that, but there is a problem with the supports which tend to slide on the rods.
So, you may do a few modifications on the files :
Join the two bottom motor attach with a floor of approx 1mm, to stop the rods, this also will help to install rubber feet.
Do not forget to mirror vertically one side to have the nut hole directed to the bottom.
For the top, this is a bit more complex. Designing a better pinching system is not easy, but you may add 'ears' to the top support to bolt a stop plate on top.
Maybe a wood reinforcment as I have done is more simple, especially as you already printed the parts.

Also, something shall be done for the idler stability, either four bolts as could be seen in this topic [forums.reprap.org] or simply enlarge the carriage as I have done in this topic [forums.reprap.org]
I also have replaced the bearings with flanged ones, but you shall stabilise the idler first. You could also use side plates to lock the idler carriage.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2015 02:52PM by PRZ.
August 23, 2015 09:46PM
Kit arrived......

Need to print off some modified parts for the axis assemblies, all the comments on the axis rails slipping have obvious merit so I wont even bother trying the stock RRP design in that respect

Going to press on with the stock idler for now, frankly listening to comments I think that whole top end needs some rework, once I've commissioned this and can get rid of my backlog of parts to be printed Ill see what I can come up with

RepRapPro Fisher
-Carbon Arms
-axis stiffness mods
HE3D -600 delta
-Duet 0.8.5
-PanelDue
-DC42 Height probe
Simplyfy3D
RS Design Spark CAD
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login