Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How to insert new roll of filament while in printing?

Posted by janpenguin 
How to insert new roll of filament while in printing?
March 06, 2016 05:19PM
Hi,

Last year when I was testing Fisher, I found it would be impossible to do continuous printing when filament is running out.
When the tension is weak, extruder fails to push the filament, it produces filament starvation. I had spend many hours to troubleshoot weird retraction problem in my Kossel Mini for months without knowing the design flaw of the extruder.
Pushing requires more force than pulling filament in retraction. If the biting force between idler bearing and hobbed gear is weaker than the pushing force, any object that demands a lot of retraction would produce many hairs or filament starvation.

I had to adjust the tension of extruder so that retraction would work properly in Fisher to get decent retraction quality. But the problem was that pressing the tension lever wouldn't be able to take filament. Due to the location of tension adjuster which is upper side and inside panel, if Fisher is running, continuous printing is extremely hard or impossible.

I just replaced all the acrylic plastic parts with steel and aluminum. First thing I had in mind was the problem of continuous printing.
Re: How to insert new roll of filament while in printing?
March 12, 2016 02:20AM
I've frequently done filament change when the filament is running out on my fisher, you just got to feed the filament into the extruder as the first strand goes through it, retractions dont work whislt teh break is in the bowden, but it certainly feeds through OK

RepRapPro Mendel 3 Tricolour
RepRapPro Fisher
-Carbon Arms
-Easy adjust Carriage+effector
-axis stiffness mods
HE3D -600 delta
-Duet 0.8.5
-PanelDue
-DC42 Height probe
-RobotDigg metal components
Simplyfy3D
RS Design Spark CAD
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login