Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

screws to mount endstops

Posted by Jelle 
screws to mount endstops
July 21, 2015 07:58AM
A small issue I had while building is that the M2.5 screw are a little too small for the enstops. One side grips easily, the other is loose. Since there are no M2.5 nuts (hurray for avoiding awkward confusion!), I suppose this is not as intended? I would suggest finding some 3mm self-tapping screws (parker?) and using these or to tap the holes to M3 and use a M3x10 pan head.

That brings me to another annoyance: what is up with the different head types? You could make a mention why each type is used at that point. From a production perspective I'd say that it would be better to stick to one type only, to reduce BOM items and avoid mistakes of builders.
PRZ
Re: screws to mount endstops
July 21, 2015 09:52AM
Same for me, and as I already written in the 1rst Fisher thread, I used own longer screws, however, by trying to cut in place the extra-length with the dremel, I melted the switch, which is still working, but looks bad.
So any disk cut shall be done after disassembling the screw.
I glued the other screws, but that is not that much effective. You see remnant of glue on the photos.
July 21, 2015 05:07PM
Same problem, but for now, I just put some Blue Loctite to maintain the screws.
I'll probably go to PRZ solution when the endstops will move again.
July 28, 2015 01:28AM
I finished my Fisher over the weekend and had the same issue with the screws but solved it by just putting a piece of wirewrap wire into the hole (poking out slightly at the screw head end) which caused a tighter fit for the screw; worked Ok but needed new wire if the switch was removed.

Paul
July 28, 2015 03:43AM
I wasn't completely comfortable with the original solution not using nuts, particularly as the the one screw seems to only be a clearance fit, as Jelle mentioned. I ended up replacing mine with longer M2.5 screws with nuts, but I do wonder whether simply using a cable tie looped through the holes would make it just as secure?

Chris
July 28, 2015 08:06AM
Yes, one of the cable ties supplied fits through the microswitch and panel fine; I did this on one of my microswitches, as the screws weren't holding. You need to put the 'head' of the cable tie at the top of the microswitch if you fit it from inside, or it will hit the carriage/arm before the microswitch is activated, like this:

Or fit it from the outside.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login