Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Fisher 101

Posted by La_doc 
Fisher 101
July 30, 2015 01:35AM
Hello there!
I asked about a good Delta for beginners over at /General and got pointed here.
I have a few questions before really deciding for a Fisher thought.

1. Minimal Footprint is important to me. What are the exact dimensions of the Fisher?
(Website only mentions build Area)

2. Is it possible to mount the Filament Spool on top of the Fisher?
(E.g. via a custom printable part?)

3. What is your general experience with the Fisher?
(Anything I need to be aware of?)

Thanks a lot!
Re: Fisher 101
July 30, 2015 07:26AM
Hi La_doc

1. The Fisher's external dimensions are: each side (as it's three-sided) is 26cm wide, at it's widest point, and 43cm tall. It fits in a circle of 27.5cm diameter.
2. I don't think this would be a problem; drill a hole in the middle of the top plate, attach the spool mount there, and put the filament on the top. Depending on the spool size, you may need a plate under it, just to hold it up a little from the top of the printer.
3. It's awesome! (But then I'm biased...) Be aware, it is still a 'beta' release, but we've already learned a lot, and have shipped a lot of kits already. Instructions are being updated frequently, and you can always email us for support.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2015 12:21PM by droftarts.
July 30, 2015 08:20AM
1. Already answered by Ian. Indeed, it is also very portable - I transported one to and from work in a draw string bag last weekend. I did a calibration (which I usually do anyway when I turn it on), clicked print and watched it produce a flawless part.
2. I've done this. I used a 1 Kg spool when I did this and found that there was too much friction between the spool and top of the printer to do this with a super simple spool holder. I designed a spool holder with a 608ZZ bearing and that worked fine but really a proper thrust bearing would be better. I haven't tried this with one of the smaller 500g spools from RRP, so I couldn't comment on that.
3. In short, I agree with Ian that it's awesome. The slightly longer version is that I've made a few modifications (both hardware and config / calibration files) to fine tune it to make it awesome. Don't be put off by that though, the changes I've made are because I'm anal and I want to get it printing to the absolute best of its abilities. While you should keep in mind that the Fisher is still a beta release, RRP are addressing the issues people are raising. Really, for the price it is, if you're looking for either a cheap printer or a delta for beginners, the Fisher seems to be a no-brainer.

Chris
July 30, 2015 11:13AM
Whoa!
Thanks both of you!
I'm kind of baffled right now just how small the Fisher is!
In all the hours of research i did I have never seen a printer that small with such a big build area!
I will certainly get one as soon as my next paycheck comes around!

I'm really looking forward to joining this community!
You have all been so helpful and overall awesome!

Fabian
July 30, 2015 12:30PM
La_doc
I'm kind of baffled right now just how small the Fisher is!
In all the hours of research i did I have never seen a printer that small with such a big build area!

Deltas are much more desktop-space efficient than traditional Cartesian printers with a bed moving in the Y axis. The downside is that they are taller, but this is of less importance to most users.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login