Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extruder motor making strange noises

Posted by MattHawkinsUK 
Extruder motor making strange noises
September 05, 2015 01:57PM
Hello,

I've just finished building my Fisher.

Everything is working fine but the Extruder motor isn't working. When I follow the intructions for manually feeding the filament it either doesn't turn or just sits there making various noises. Any movement it does make is erratic. Sometimes it won't stop and I have to use the Emergency stop. If I try the thumbwheel the motor will sometimes start spinning at high speed.

It's unrelated to the filament or tensioner as it does it with or without those items.

It looks as if the motor is faulty but is there anything else I can try in software to test this motor?

Thanks,

Matt
Re: Extruder motor making strange noises
September 05, 2015 04:22PM
Most likely your motor is not faulty, but if you have multimeter you can test it yourself there should be two pairs of wire that have ~8 Ohm resistance. On thing that happed to me today though is that the cable for the hotend/effector unstuck the connector on the E stepper. If it is only connected with one pair, then it will move erraticaly, so that may have happened to you too?
September 05, 2015 07:16PM
The simple test for faulty motors and board drivers is swapping the suspect motor with a good one, ie one of your axis motors.

To test the board drivers just swap the connectors over at the board, but may be best to remove the effector ans arms first

RepRapPro Mendel 3 Tricolour
RepRapPro Fisher
-Carbon Arms
-Easy adjust Carriage+effector
-axis stiffness mods
HE3D -600 delta
-Duet 0.8.5
-PanelDue
-DC42 Height probe
-RobotDigg metal components
Simplyfy3D
RS Design Spark CAD
September 06, 2015 07:10AM
Thanks for the responses. I swapped the motors around and confirmed the motor was ok and the board was ok.

The cable was incorrectly wired up. I replaced the board connector with another one with the correct pin ordering and it now works fine smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login