Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Maintenance?

Posted by Theolodian 
Maintenance?
October 12, 2015 03:12PM
OK, so the STLs for v1.0 are starting to come out and mine isn't sounding as smooth any more. I have been lubing the connecting rods. What about the linear bearings, WD40? Anything else I should service, with or without taking it apart?

Yes I have checked the online documentation, the maintenance page is still blank.

Thanks.
Re: Maintenance?
October 12, 2015 03:28PM
I am not an expert but i have seen some guys using grease instead of oil.. I guess its because it lasts longer...
October 12, 2015 07:03PM
WD40 is not useful for anything that isn't seized or rusty - it's not a lubricant. It's awful stuff that ruins polymers like acrylic. I have a bed off an old BFB that it comletely cracked and crazed where someone tried to lube the printer with WD40 that sprayed all over the place.

I use 3 in 1 white lithium grease on the balls for the connection rods as it doesn't make the acrylic go crazy - spray a small amount into the cap and then use a cotton bus to apply it. Don't spray it directly as it's thick and gets everywhere and is a nightmare to clean off completely. I use 3 in 1 oil with graphite for the linear bearings. The graphite oil is in a old tin with a white and orange label... I can find anywhere to buy more :-(
PRZ
October 13, 2015 11:07AM
You may have a look to theses topics:

[forums.reprap.org]

[forums.reprap.org]
October 13, 2015 01:37PM
Found this Food safe white grease

I am trying to stay with food safe lubricants since I am making trinkets for my kids and expect to take it to their primary school for science week. Might as well play it safe.
October 21, 2015 04:32PM
I really need to deal with this, especially after that 4.5hr print. I am also getting low on white PLA, and some Orange would be nice for Halloween. Why oh why can't I order PLA filament and food safe silicone/grease from one place? winking smiley
October 22, 2015 07:07AM
This is the maintenance page from the main commissioning instructions: [reprappro.com]

But DON'T use Acetone on the BuildTak; use 'rubbing alcohol' (aka denatured alcohol, or isopropyl alcohol). See: [www.buildtak.eu]
The Maintenance page for Fisher should probably be removed, or at least point to this, with a few edits (like the above). This page is referred to in the instructions, for firmware updating. We don't specifically say anything about food-safe lubricants, though.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
November 15, 2015 10:23AM
droftarts
This is the maintenance page from the main commissioning instructions: [reprappro.com]

But DON'T use Acetone on the BuildTak; use 'rubbing alcohol' (aka denatured alcohol, or isopropyl alcohol). See: [www.buildtak.eu]
The Maintenance page for Fisher should probably be removed, or at least point to this, with a few edits (like the above). This page is referred to in the instructions, for firmware updating. We don't specifically say anything about food-safe lubricants, though.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support

Would alcohol wipes from things like first aid kits or device screen cleaners be OK on the Fisher bed?
November 15, 2015 10:56AM
We've found White Spirit works OK to remove greasy finger marks etc from the bed.

We are using a molybdenum grease on the ball joints - came from the same place I bought the carbon fibre rod for the arms; nothing as yet on the linear bearings.
April 04, 2016 09:12AM
It's good to check all fasteners are secure periodically and apply a little locktight to anything that regularly loosens up with vibration. I use lithium lubricant, got it from the local bike shop. Use it sparingly and wipe off any excess. I also carefully remove the bed and clean out debris from underneath it periodically.

Anyone got any suggestions for periodic head cleaning and removing unwanted filament deposits? Been heating the head up and using a cheap microfibre cloth myself, is there something better?

Ian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2016 09:12AM by fraseip@gmail.com.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login