Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Fisher Beta with new Extruder Drive.

Posted by Jmylch 
Fisher Beta with new Extruder Drive.
October 16, 2015 01:49PM
When the Fisher 1 was announced I purchased the new extruder drive for my Beta It arrived on wednesday and fitted it there and then but with one problem now that the motor has been flipped to the other side of the drive. By this I mean now that the drive is on the opposite side if I tell the printer to Extrude it will retract and Extrude when It should retract, is there a way to switch the direction the macros and the printer spin the motor in any way?
Re: Fisher Beta with new Extruder Drive.
October 16, 2015 02:00PM
Jmylch
When the Fisher 1 was announced I purchased the new extruder drive for my Beta It arrived on wednesday and fitted it there and then but with one problem now that the motor has been flipped to the other side of the drive. By this I mean now that the drive is on the opposite side if I tell the printer to Extrude it will retract and Extrude when It should retract, is there a way to switch the direction the macros and the printer spin the motor in any way?

Yes, see [reprap.org]. So look for the M569 P3 command in config.g and change the S parameter between 0 and 1 to reverse the direction.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
October 16, 2015 02:01PM
Steps/mm will also be off by a factor of 2.
October 16, 2015 03:22PM
Thank you very much, yeah that worked i also changed m203 to E8000 over e4000 as Theolodian suggested.
October 16, 2015 03:31PM
No, it's the M92 E parameter you need to double, not the M203 E parameter.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

October 16, 2015 03:32PM
No, this:

M92 E137 ; Set extruder steps per mm

If I'm not too tired that will now be M92 E274 with the 2:1 reduction drive. However, that assumes the hobbed insert is the same diameter so calibrate from there of course. (Take off Bowden tube, mark/cut filament flush with extruder body, extrude 10 or 100mm, measure the real length, and the difference is your percent error.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2015 03:33PM by Theolodian.
October 16, 2015 03:57PM
I only noticed m92 after my post I have reset the e8000 and changed m92 to e274, doing a quick print to test.
October 16, 2015 10:24PM
Would like to see some pics of the beta with the new drive, haven't checked yet, but have the STLs been published? I think if I canabalise my fisher beta drive and a Mendel drive, I already have all the hardware for building a fisher 1 drive.

RepRapPro Mendel 3 Tricolour
RepRapPro Fisher
-Carbon Arms
-Easy adjust Carriage+effector
-axis stiffness mods
HE3D -600 delta
-Duet 0.8.5
-PanelDue
-DC42 Height probe
-RobotDigg metal components
Simplyfy3D
RS Design Spark CAD
October 17, 2015 01:16AM
bgkdavis
I think if I canabalise my fisher beta drive and a Mendel drive, I already have all the hardware for building a fisher 1 drive.

hm....scrub that, wrong bearings and screw is too short

RepRapPro Mendel 3 Tricolour
RepRapPro Fisher
-Carbon Arms
-Easy adjust Carriage+effector
-axis stiffness mods
HE3D -600 delta
-Duet 0.8.5
-PanelDue
-DC42 Height probe
-RobotDigg metal components
Simplyfy3D
RS Design Spark CAD
October 19, 2015 06:49AM
looking at my config.g file, i have changed :-

M569 P3 S0

to

M569 P3 S1

looking at M92, there is no E entry

M92 X87.489 Y87.489 Z87.489 ; Set axis steps/mm

so would I change entry as below

M92 X87.489 Y87.489 Z87.489 E274 ; Set axis steps/mm
October 19, 2015 07:21AM
Test print seems to have answered my question, Printing out Robot at this very moment...
October 19, 2015 07:36AM
I think you will find that there are two separate M92 entries in the original config.g file, one for XYZ and the other for E.

October 19, 2015 07:42AM
well 1st test print completed, but it looks like not feeding filament enough, so i tried changing M92 E value from 274 to 548, restarted Fisher, but it does not seem to move the filament any further that before. help confused smiley
October 19, 2015 10:27AM
dc42, will have another look at the config.g file. must have missed the other entry.
October 19, 2015 10:31AM
just had another look and found the other entry,

M92 E137.0

changed to

M92 E274.0

Thanks
October 19, 2015 11:14AM
Well that seems a lot better, thanks for the help DC
October 19, 2015 11:32AM
wmacm00
just had another look and found the other entry,

M92 E137.0

changed to

M92 E274.0

Thanks

If both entries contain an E parameter, then whichever one is later in the file will take precedence.

October 20, 2015 03:03AM
The Fisher1 SD image is now there to Download, which I have.

had a look at the config.g, and it has the three belt drives as S1, so had the change them to S0.

also M92 E is set to 310
October 22, 2015 06:56AM
"it has the three belt drives as S1"
I think you mean these lines:

; Axis and motor configuration
M569 P0 S1 ; Drive 0 goes forwards
M569 P1 S1 ; Drive 1 goes forwards
M569 P2 S1 ; Drive 2 goes forwards
M569 P3 S1 ; Drive 3 goes forwards
M569 P4 S1 ; Drive 4 goes forwards

M569 controls the direction the drive moves. Drive 0, 1, 2 and 3 are the X, Y, Z and extruder axes. All these were S0 for Fisher beta. The extruder goes the other way because of the gearing on Fisher 1. The others were changed because we reversed the motor wiring direction on the Duet motor pins for Fisher 1, to match the wiring for our other printers, so the wiring looms can be wired the same. We use a keyed header for all our other printers, so the motor wires can only fit on one way around. The Fisher actually uses old wiring looms, that we have left over from Ormerod 1! But we'll eventually have to get new wiring, so we thought this is the best time to introduce this change. See the Fisher 1 wiring diagram, and note the colours of the wires for the motors, and how they connect: [reprappro.com]

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login