Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Lighting!?

Posted by Sean.kennedy 
Lighting!?
October 27, 2015 05:13PM
Hello! just got my fisher a week and a bit ago and have been printing constantly ever since.

though now im looking to improve. Already designed an initial bottom plate (using the dxf file of the top plate and superimposing the motor brackets on them to get correct hole placements) with my laser cutter (in pic.) NOW i am looking to put lights in it so i can see what im printing. I have led strip lights and was thinking of putting them in the inside of the side plate that dont have any wires hooked to them.

MY QUESTION!!!!! is there 2 pins on the duet board that supplies the equivalent power as a 9v battery (which is what mu lights are attached to right now?
Attachments:
open | download - 12140901_10153379485003124_3698384714675662866_o.jpg (119.5 KB)
Re: Lighting!?
October 27, 2015 05:39PM
if your lights expect 9V, put two in series and connect it to the 19V. You can get the 19V at the power connector, or at the expansion header. You'll have to look up where in the schematics yourself, I'm sure google can tell you where those are..?

I found some cheap led strip meant for car headlights that has the leds shining sideways. I stuck that around the portal of one panel with nice results. The downside is that it will shine in your eyes/camera if you look at it from the side, so the next iteration will have this strip only at the top of the 'portals'. That will also allow me to put two in series as they get a bit hot.
October 27, 2015 06:16PM
Will definitely take a look at that tomorrow. I have found the plans for the duet but haven't a clue how to interpret them. Anyone want to have a go?

The fan plugs into 2 pins away from the other things. (see this link for "hot end fan" [reprappro.com]) and I'm hoping someone can tell me, using the below schematic, if any other pins on there will power some lights.

[github.com]
November 07, 2015 06:27AM
9V? Pretty uncommon for a LED strip isn't it?
Technically you could use one of the PWM headers on the duet to get whatever voltage you want up to 19V.

Slightly unrelated, here is my lighting solution for the fisher: Two 5V addressable RGB LED strips (Adafruit Neopixel) for added disco experience.
Using double sided tape to attach them to the front panel. 5V header is directly available on the duet. Works like a charm.
Attachments:
open | download - WP_20151107_11_21_33_Pro.jpg (469 KB)
November 07, 2015 06:42AM
Looks awesome! I was using 9v (actually 12v) lights because I was expecting a power source simular. In the end I bought 24v lights and found a 19v pin on the board not being used and tapped it. Works great. I'm just finishing soldering a few together in specific places and will post pics.
November 09, 2015 09:13AM
floppah
9V? Pretty uncommon for a LED strip isn't it?
Technically you could use one of the PWM headers on the duet to get whatever voltage you want up to 19V.

Slightly unrelated, here is my lighting solution for the fisher: Two 5V addressable RGB LED strips (Adafruit Neopixel) for added disco experience.
Using double sided tape to attach them to the front panel. 5V header is directly available on the duet. Works like a charm.
could you perhaps take some pictures how you have it connected? =) i think i got it but, want to be sure! really dont feel like ruining my duet! =)
November 10, 2015 04:52PM
Here you go.
5V is on the near end of the expansion header.
Pin1 is +5V and pin2 is ground.
(and pin3 is 3.3V if that's what you're after)

Also, if you want to be extra safe put a 1A fuse (something like this: [uk.rs-online.com] ) after the connector winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2015 05:07PM by floppah.
Attachments:
open | download - WP_20151110_21_44_16_Pro.jpg (221.7 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login