Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Comments in starting script cause issues

Posted by Theolodian 
Comments in starting script cause issues
October 28, 2015 02:42PM
I had a commented out Gcode, with another comment in the same line. This was the first line in the starting script. This caused it to skip the next block of Gcodes occasionally which was a single bed probe before heating the nozzle. It would jump to heating the nozzle. 109k-dc42 firmware.
Re: Comments in starting script cause issues
October 28, 2015 03:07PM
Wait, I took that line out and initially it was fine but now doing the same thing!?

Warning is:

M25 Warning: Tool 0 was not driven because its heater temperatures was not high enough

Starting script is:

G1 X0 Y0 Z4 F4000
G30 H-0.3
G1 Z30 F4000

M83 ; relative extruder mode
T0 ; select extruder 0
M116 ; wait?

G1 Z0.35 F4000
October 29, 2015 03:59AM
What are you trying to do with that code? Unless I'm mistaken, the first 3 lines won't have any effect on your print... lower the head, prove the bed and do nothing with the info and then raise the head?
Are you trying to find the z plane of bed, like the setz.g macro? If so, you should use :
G30 ; probe the bed to find the plane
G1 Z0.35 ; raise the nozzle to a height that you have previously verified is a the desired height relative to the probe trigger point
G92 Z0 ; set this position as the new Z 0 plane
G1 Z30 F4000 ; raise the nozzle
October 29, 2015 04:20AM
Yeah, I've been meaning to copy bed.g here instead. I'm getting enough skipped steps that I really need to probe before every print. I hadn't wrapped my head around the G92 Z vs the G30 H yet though. Just been caught up in other things.

So far it seems that if I do the auto bed levelling I need to click on at least one other screen, say Gcode console, before printing the gcode file or it often doesn't run that first bed probing.

Interestingly the Pause Print doesn't work when the tool is heating up! Have to do an Emergency Stop and re-home if you don't want to wait.
October 29, 2015 04:44AM
bluesign2k
What are you trying to do with that code? Unless I'm mistaken, the first 3 lines won't have any effect on your print... lower the head, prove the bed and do nothing with the info and then raise the head?

The first 3 lines will work just fine, because by default G30 probes the bed and then sets the Z height to the value specified in the G31 Z parameter. So make sure that the G31 Z parameter in config.g is the correct value for probing at the centre of the bed.

Theolodian
Yeah, I've been meaning to copy bed.g here instead.

Why? You only need to use a G32 command if you want to execute bed.g.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
October 29, 2015 05:37AM
Thanks, useful info!

I had originally been looking to tweak the H value depending if the print was larger or smaller because of the dip in the middle of the bed. However, I seem to have resolved that now. Large and small prints are fine with G30 H-0.3.

In terms of G31 Z both my bed.g and config.g are the standard SD card from RRP. What do I need to do with them to incorporate the G30 H-0.3 that I am currently using, so that I can just do the G32 as you suggest? Thanks a ton.
October 29, 2015 06:14AM
Theolodian
Thanks, useful info!

I had originally been looking to tweak the H value depending if the print was larger or smaller because of the dip in the middle of the bed. However, I seem to have resolved that now. Large and small prints are fine with G30 H-0.3.

In terms of G31 Z both my bed.g and config.g are the standard SD card from RRP. What do I need to do with them to incorporate the G30 H-0.3 that I am currently using, so that I can just do the G32 as you suggest? Thanks a ton.

I am looking at the Fisher 1.0 image. In config.g there is this line:

G31 X0 Y0 Z-0.1 P200			; Set the zprobe height and threshold (put your own values here)

Change Z-0.1 to Z-0.4. This takes account of the fact that you currently need to use H-0.3 on the G30 command to get the correct Z=0 setting when probing at the centre of the bed..

The bed.g file contains these lines:

; Probe the bed and do auto calibration
G1 X-64.95 Y-37.5 F12000
G4 P300
G30 P0 X-64.95 Y-37.5 Z-99999	        ; X tower
G4 P300
G30 P1 X64.95 Y-37.5 Z-99999	    	; Y tower
G4 P300
G30 P2 X0 Y75 Z-99999			; Z tower
G4 P300
G31 Z-0.3
G30 P3 X0 Y0 Z-99999 S0		; centre, and auto-calibrate
G31 Z-0.1

I would change them to:

; Probe the bed and do auto calibration
G1 X-64.95 Y-37.5 F12000
G4 P300
G30 P0 X-64.95 Y-37.5 Z-99999 H0.2	    ; X tower
G4 P300
G30 P1 X64.95 Y-37.5 Z-99999 H0.2	    ; Y tower
G4 P300
G30 P2 X0 Y75 Z-99999 H0.2		    ; Z tower
G4 P300
G30 P3 X0 Y0 Z-99999 S0		; centre, and auto-calibrate

This takes account of the bed switches triggering 0.2mm higher near the towers than at the centre.

After these changes, ar the start of the print you can either use the G30 command as you do now (without the H-0.3 parameter), or G32.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

October 29, 2015 05:07PM
Thanks. Tried that, a bit too far from the bed on a small print. H0.3 at the towers is a bit better but not great. I was probing at H0 at the towers and H-0.4 in the centre previously, followed by the H-0.3 after. Hmmm.
October 30, 2015 02:45PM
OK, do I need to put an M0 in my ending script? When I go to do another print it doesn't do the G32. Cancel that print, and it does the G32 correctly. Maybe the previous print isn't exiting correctly?

Also, I am running H0.4 at the towers in your above example dc42. A bit circular to then have Z-0.4 in config.g but it calibrates to under 20 microns and prints a good first layer so be it. (For those that haven't followed the whole conversation I am probing the bed with the nozzle cold, If probing hot I would run G31 Z-0.35 in config.g but Buildtak recommend cold.)
October 30, 2015 03:01PM
G32 won't run if the towers have not been homed. Running M0 turns the motors off and the homing is deemed to have been lost. So what you probably want in your starting script is G28 followed by G32.

October 30, 2015 03:08PM
Odd, I can cancel the print which says M0 in the Gcode console, and then print again without homing - including G32.

I don't want to home again as I have to hold the Bowden tube to not knock the endstop cable off. No I haven't sorted that properly yet.

So what might the issue be? Are you saying that I do need to run M0 in the ending script to properly exit the print, or is there something else to try? If I can't run a G32 at the start of a print without a G28 then I will need to copy bed.g to my starting script I guess. Too bad, it was nice to be able to adjust that without having to re-slice everything.
October 30, 2015 03:52PM
dc42
G32 won't run if the towers have not been homed. Running M0 turns the motors off and the homing is deemed to have been lost. So what you probably want in your starting script is G28 followed by G32.

That's not right, M0 doesn't turn off the drives, it only puts them in idle mode which is why the axis positions remain valid. You'd have to run M1 to turn them off entirely.

Theolodian, could you try out my firmware fork and check if the problem with T0/M116 persists? I had a similar issue with dc42's firmware a while back, but my latest firmware version isn't affected AFAICT. You can get a precompiled firmware binary here: [github.com] If you give it a try, you could also turn off the heated bed on the web interface by adding "M140 H-1" to your config file.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2015 03:54PM by zombiepantslol.
October 31, 2015 04:42AM
Thanks. I probably will give that a try sometime, but as updating the firmware is a bit of a drama I'll leave it for now. I added that M0 to my ending script on dc42's firmware and it seems to be happy so far. I can; power up, home, print, clear bed and nozzle, and print again, and again and again. Pumpkin production in full swing! cool smiley
November 07, 2015 05:27AM
Is there anything that I can do in the starting script or in bed.g to error catch if the bed switches are open? I guess my springs are getting weak. If the bed is not sitting correctly it prints without probing instead of stopping or cancelling.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login