Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

hollow cube

Posted by ronnietucker 
hollow cube
November 28, 2015 08:55AM
Does anyone have a link to a good hollow cube model?

Most cubes I've tried are either small and solid, or large and either solid, or have a ton of infill.

I just want a hollow cube that'll use the least amount of filament. smiling smiley

Thanks!
Re: hollow cube
November 29, 2015 08:48AM
Hi Ronnie,

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean, the solidity or hollowness of a cube is all set in the slicer (cura, slic3r, etc) to load a cube and set walls (shells) to 0.4 or 0.8mm (1 or 2 shells) and setting infill to 0%. That would create a completely hallow cube.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2015 08:49AM by Sean.kennedy.
November 29, 2015 11:14AM
Sean.kennedy
Hi Ronnie,

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean, the solidity or hollowness of a cube is all set in the slicer (cura, slic3r, etc) to load a cube and set walls (shells) to 0.4 or 0.8mm (1 or 2 shells) and setting infill to 0%. That would create a completely hallow cube.

Sorry. I meant to say in my original post that the cube should be 79mm square. I'd probably need some infill (I assume?) to create the final top surface.

Even setting infill to 5% and shells to 1 (in slic3r) it still seems to be trying to make a solid cube. Very odd.
November 29, 2015 01:39PM
Ah! Ok that makes a difference. Sadly, I doubt the Fisher can make a 79mm bridge which it would need to do to finish the top.

So how long did you watch it? I ask because there is another setting for how thick bottom/top layers will be (in mm). So if in slic3r it was set to 0.6mm that is 6 completely solid layers (if set to 0.1mm layers) or 3 completely solid layers (if set to 0.2mm layers). And so on. So depending on speed and layer height, you may have only been watching that.
November 29, 2015 03:13PM
Sean.kennedy
Ah! Ok that makes a difference. Sadly, I doubt the Fisher can make a 79mm bridge which it would need to do to finish the top.

So how long did you watch it? I ask because there is another setting for how thick bottom/top layers will be (in mm). So if in slic3r it was set to 0.6mm that is 6 completely solid layers (if set to 0.1mm layers) or 3 completely solid layers (if set to 0.2mm layers). And so on. So depending on speed and layer height, you may have only been watching that.

You might be right there. I came back after several minutes and it was about the thickness of your finger and I thought 'nah, screw that'. grinning smiley

I'll tinker with that mm setting too.

Thanks!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login