Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Meet the Fisher XT

Posted by DADIY 
Meet the Fisher XT
January 03, 2016 11:54AM
Meet the Fisher XT.

Decided to increase my build height to 345mm when I replaced the acrylic panels, I've modified the panel design to use standard 800mm rods and increased the placements for ends tops and cables so that the cabling can be equally distributed up all three sides.

Upgrades include.
Carbon fibre arms.
Glass bed - currently 4mm will be reducing this to 2mm to reduce weight.
Fan modified to come on only when hot end is above 35c (Thanks to DC42's latest 1.09o-dc42 firmware)
And soon to have a 12v fan - Especially now reprappro is no more.

I'll update the pictures in day light. But for now it gives an idea of scale.

If any ones wants the dxf or sketchup drawings for the panels I can post them somewhere for you.

I should add. XT = extra tall.

Edited 9 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2016 12:40PM by DADIY.
Re: Meet the Fisher XT
January 03, 2016 12:39PM
I'm still very new to the design of 3d printers, that looks like a decently easy fix, (steel rod replacement and config changes) if I'm not mistaken. How easy would it be to increase the bed size?
January 03, 2016 12:39PM
I'm still very new to the design of 3d printers, that looks like a decently easy fix, (steel rod replacement and config changes) if I'm not mistaken. How easy would it be to increase the bed size?
January 03, 2016 12:45PM
This was relatively easy. Just takes a little time to strip and re assemble and extend the cables/ Bowden tube.

At a guess I reckon the bed size could grow 30% without a major reinvention which would give approx 200mm dos bed which would be a really good size.

When I stripped mine down I found a few cracked parts so I'm super happy I printed a spares kit when I first got the printer built. I know my next print is parts to replenish the spares kit.
January 04, 2016 05:00PM
Now that rep rap pro are no more seems a good idea for everyone's next prints be a spares kit for their own printer. I suppose we now need to be self sufficient now.
January 04, 2016 06:03PM
Nice! I always thought there was a market for a taller/wider Fisher, but the consensus at RRP was that, while taller was probably okay (though the longer Bowden tube may cause more hysteresis problems), wider would need stronger arms than the acrylic one supplied, so redesign and testing would be needed. We never got around to it.

Ian
January 04, 2016 06:15PM
The acrylic arms were useless, they should never have been supplied as they were not fit for purpose. But then if you had plans to close the company perhaps you wouldn't care.

The 19v fan is another item that seems irreplaceable without bulk buying ☹
January 04, 2016 06:37PM
DADIY
The acrylic arms were useless, they should never have been supplied as they were not fit for purpose. But then if you had plans to close the company perhaps you wouldn't care.

I think that's a little unfair, if RRP really didn't care they would not have bothered to release the Fisher 1, and just rode out on Fisher Beta sales, the fact that the Fisher 1 was released generally indicates the this is a really last minute decision, and I would not be surprised if it was based on poor Christmas sales...... however its possible that if could also be based on high Christmas sales which resulted in an explosion of customer support problems, which in turn pointed to quality and design issues that would prove time consuming to fix and divert attention from other activities.

RepRapPro Mendel 3 Tricolour
RepRapPro Fisher
-Carbon Arms
-Easy adjust Carriage+effector
-axis stiffness mods
HE3D -600 delta
-Duet 0.8.5
-PanelDue
-DC42 Height probe
-RobotDigg metal components
Simplyfy3D
RS Design Spark CAD
January 05, 2016 04:29AM
bgkdavis
I think that's a little unfair, if RRP really didn't care they would not have bothered to release the Fisher 1, and just rode out on Fisher Beta sales, the fact that the Fisher 1 was released generally indicates the this is a really last minute decision, and I would not be surprised if it was based on poor Christmas sales...... however its possible that if could also be based on high Christmas sales which resulted in an explosion of customer support problems, which in turn pointed to quality and design issues that would prove time consuming to fix and divert attention from other activities.

The reason for the closure was the former - we could have dealt with the latter! The acrylic arms have been discussed ad nauseum. Reading the forums, you do tend to hear of the problems, rather than the successes; people don't post when it works as it should! They always worked for us, and broke very few (usually due to mishandling them), and the Fisher I have still has them, and they haven't broken and continue to work fine. We never quite understood why some people had problems with them; if it was a general problem, we would have been sending out lots of them, and we weren't. We thought some of the problem was fractured acrylic sheets, as supplied to us before laser cutting, which is impossible to detect. This happens in the production of the acrylic sheet, if it does not cool uniformly. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of acrylic, but it's far cheaper than other plastics, and about the only one that's could be cut by our laser cutters. Anything else would have had a negative impact on the price of the kit. If you look at any other Delta printer forum, you'll see that the arms, and the lack of rigidity in the towers (which the acrylic side panels fix), are the two main problems!

Ian
January 05, 2016 05:19AM
You might be right about the fractured sheets as the arms I removed that were not broken had lots of stress like cracks in them, and even the ones I made by hand from the scrap acrylic around the arms also broke.

Overall I am very happy with the Fisher kit, its performing way better than I expected for the price. Its just a shame reprappro is closing as it means finding spares could be tricky now.
February 01, 2016 03:58AM
I've published the panel drawings over at Thingiverse as they were too large to upload here. The files can be found here - [www.thingiverse.com]

DADIY
Meet the Fisher XT.

[attachment 68850 fisher.jpeg]

Decided to increase my build height to 345mm when I replaced the acrylic panels, I've modified the panel design to use standard 800mm rods and increased the placements for ends tops and cables so that the cabling can be equally distributed up all three sides.

Upgrades include.
Carbon fibre arms.
Glass bed - currently 4mm will be reducing this to 2mm to reduce weight.
Fan modified to come on only when hot end is above 35c (Thanks to DC42's latest 1.09o-dc42 firmware)
And soon to have a 12v fan - Especially now reprappro is no more.

I'll update the pictures in day light. But for now it gives an idea of scale.

If any ones wants the dxf or sketchup drawings for the panels I can post them somewhere for you.

I should add. XT = extra tall.

DC42 Kossel 330mm x 2meters
My Thingiverse Creations
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login