Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What have you made with your Fisher.

Posted by DADIY 
What have you made with your Fisher.
January 03, 2016 02:03PM
I thought we should have a thread where people can share what they made with their Fisher.

I'll start the ball rolling with a bust of Einstein. This was finished with a stone effect paint after I took this photo.

0.15mm layers. 15% infill.

Re: What have you made with your Fisher.
January 03, 2016 05:42PM
As featured in my own thread - here's a video game figure I designed in Maya back in 2002. I thought he was a prime candidate for my first proper print.

Can't say what the settings were - being a total n00b I just dun hit the 'print it' button. lol

I did cut him into three pieces first, and oriented him so that he'd need no support. He's about 5 inches tall.

January 06, 2016 07:55AM
Ok, well I'm still struggling with printing acceptible quality in actual fact but :

I also printed a funnel for the Mrs to use in the kitchen smiling smiley practical and fun!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2016 07:56AM by Caribou.
January 06, 2016 08:08AM
Have you tried reducing the print temperature. It looks like you might be printing a bit too hot for your filament.

There's an interesting guide at simplify3d for diagnosing common issues and their causes.

Its available here - simplify3d.com/support/print-quality-troubleshooting/

If your using Slic3r did you download the precreated profile or create your own? - the official one is here - [github.com]
January 06, 2016 09:03AM
Wow thanks for that, I did try to go through the forum post of common print problems but thats much better.

I made my own profile so I'll take a look at that as well and see whether it makes things better.
January 06, 2016 09:10AM
I've not made a lot so far. I've printed 3 of the robots, the first want great because I had a belt slip a tooth after the first few layers so he has slight wonky legs, my my daughter (3) like is because she says he's dancing. The next two robots were fine. I printed the 20x20 calibration cube to see how accurate I was so far, that came out at 19.90x19.93 so not far off, it's pretty square too but I still want to calibrate the ball spacing to make it a bit more accurate. I also printed about 75% of the 3DBenchy boat but the filament stopped coming out of the nozzle when I got to the roof. I think I know why this happened, I think the Bowden tube is a little long increasing friction as it bends around corners, as the part height increases so bend radii decrease. Plus I think my extruder needs cleaning and adjusting.

I'm going to be stripping some pets down to adjust and lock the balls, as well as adjusting the side panels, two are bowed in so that the carriage touches them at midpoint, so want to fix that too.
Attachments:
open | download - image.jpeg (470.5 KB)
January 06, 2016 09:37AM
I put a couple of cable ties around the bowden tube and the electric to hold them together, it seems to help reduce the bowden tube catching and getting sandwich between the carriage and the limit switches during a home operation. I upgraded my machine to a Fisher XT so I have an even longer ~600mm bowden tube and the friction hasn't been an issue. If anything over tightening the heat-sink or brass end can increase the friction so might be worth getting a little filament and feeling on entry whether you can feel resistance.

If you dont use locktite on the ball ends they will fall off, I found that out to my peril.

After you've readjusted you might want to read the threads about 10 factor calibration and setting the config.g up properly for your machine.
January 06, 2016 09:43AM
Last night 's print, this is the Fibonacci Vase from thingiverse. Coffee to give a sense of scale.

January 06, 2016 02:19PM
DADIY
I put a couple of cable ties around the bowden tube and the electric to hold them together, it seems to help reduce the bowden tube catching and getting sandwich between the carriage and the limit switches during a home operation. I upgraded my machine to a Fisher XT so I have an even longer ~600mm bowden tube and the friction hasn't been an issue. If anything over tightening the heat-sink or brass end can increase the friction so might be worth getting a little filament and feeling on entry whether you can feel resistance.

If you dont use locktite on the ball ends they will fall off, I found that out to my peril.

After you've readjusted you might want to read the threads about 10 factor calibration and setting the config.g up properly for your machine.

Thanks for the advice, I did tie the cable and Bowden so they move together, but I will try manually feeding some filament through to see if there's any resistance anywhere. Locktite noted, I planned to do this just wanted to do some testing first, will then calibrate the heck out of it!
January 07, 2016 05:55AM
Well thanks again DADIY I finally got a quality print out last night and printed something I wanted to do from the beginning smiling smiley

The quality improvement was amazing. I downloaded the config for slicer from Github and apart from reducing speeds I changed nothing. I will reprint a raspberry PI case that I had done over the next couple of days and post the results of that - very happy man at the moment smiling smiley

poorly shot "blair witch" style video of my fisher in action grinning smiley

video of the bearing being printed...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2016 06:50AM by Caribou.
January 07, 2016 06:56AM
Excellent! - I too had to print one of those as well. I really love how you can print something that cannot be assembled and moves straight off the printer.
January 07, 2016 07:34AM
Caribou
Well thanks again DADIY I finally got a quality print out last night and printed something I wanted to do from the beginning smiling smiley

The quality improvement was amazing. I downloaded the config for slicer from Github and apart from reducing speeds I changed nothing. I will reprint a raspberry PI case that I had done over the next couple of days and post the results of that - very happy man at the moment smiling smiley

poorly shot "blair witch" style video of my fisher in action grinning smiley

video of the bearing being printed...

Do you have a download link for that file at all please?
January 07, 2016 07:47AM
Its on thingiverse here - [www.thingiverse.com]
January 07, 2016 10:06AM
Beat me to it smiling smiley
January 07, 2016 10:19AM
Thanks guys! smiling smiley I have a sample of rigid.ink filament coming so will be looking for something to test it with.
January 19, 2016 01:23PM
Nice stuff, everyone.

All I have is a humble robot, the very first print on a Fisher I finished today. I can't believe how well it came out, with all stock settings and a freezing room. Literally freezing, the Fisher temp reading was 0.3 C.

August 01, 2016 10:38AM
DADIY
If your using Slic3r did you download the precreated profile or create your own? - the official one is here - [github.com]

Are you sure that's correct? I downloaded the Fisher.ini one but everything seems wrong in there. It has a square print bed and the filament is set at 3mm? My Fisher Delta has a circular print bed and only takes 1.75mm filament.
August 01, 2016 10:58AM
When I look at the source of the fisher.ini file from that link I can see it sets the filament to 1.73mm so I think you may not have loaded it correctly. Did you do a File -> Load Config to add it and then select it under Printer settings?

DC42 Kossel 330mm x 2meters
My Thingiverse Creations
March 05, 2017 05:35PM
I just dug out my Fisher Delta again, gave it a good tuning up and printed out a Star Wars themed lithophane.

This printed in about ten minutes. Never seen the head move so fast. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2017 05:45PM by Gmanx.
March 08, 2017 03:57AM
..and since it's printing so well I thought I'd start printing out 1/4 scale skulls to add to a diorama base for a Terminator figure I have.

March 08, 2017 04:19AM
That's a nice looking print. What PLA are you using?

My Thingiverse Creations
March 08, 2017 12:43PM
Thanks DADIY, believe it or not, that's the eSun PLA that shipped with the printer.

There are some retraction issues on that print, maybe due to overheating but overall, the eSun stuff prints well. I've been trying some Rigid Ink as well.
March 10, 2017 03:17PM
This one is interesting. It's a motor bracket for a HyperCube XY printer. A friend is building one and I'm helping with some of the printed elements.

March 13, 2017 05:31PM
I found a model on Thingiverse of a sci-fi prop from a fave show of mine 'Babylon 5'. It's the pistol that security officer Garibaldi (played by the late Jerry Doyle) would carry. The prop makers for the show made the gun really hard to copy so consequently not many have been attempted.

Now, of course, we can print!

March 20, 2017 05:33PM
I found that I had a cracked idler bracket:

..so I printed another.

I know that I should be printing in PETG (or ideally in ABS with a heated bed) for these bits - but this will do for now. smiling smiley
March 23, 2017 02:29PM
While the PPG (gun prop from the sci-fi show Babylon 5) is being sanded/primed I managed to do a little more printing.

Here's an APC for my 15mm Traveller table-top gaming figures. The first shot has a teaspoon for scale - the vehicle is exactly 4 inches long.

The model is adapted from one available on Thingiverse and printed with holes for door hinges and to make the axles work.

There's also access to the interior.

Once kitted out with some greeblies, other detailing and paint it'll be a nice addition to my gaming.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2017 02:29PM by Gmanx.
March 26, 2017 05:08PM
I was concerned about the small spool spigot on the back of the Fisher affecting the torque needed for the extruder to pull the filament and thereby spin the spool.

I thought I'd make a spacer to interface between spigot and spool. This would also be good practice for me using Blender 3d to create dimensionally accurate models (which is difficult).

So, here's the setup.

Bobbin insert printing.

Finished article.

...and in place.

I know that there are better designed solutions out there but wanted to create something quick and temporary as an exercise. It works a treat!
April 19, 2017 04:18PM
I've just printed out the new extruder designed by Emaker and detailed here on these forums: [forums.reprap.org]

I've actually already adapted my own original extruder and I'm going to give this build a go too.

April 20, 2017 04:25AM
Another nice looking print, I might have to go back to the eSun filament myself.

I moved over to a slightly modified version of this extruder - [www.thingiverse.com] having been using it for about 4 months and have been quite happy. At somepoint I need to publish my modified version on thingiverse.

My Thingiverse Creations
April 21, 2017 04:51PM
That's a nice, neat little extruder. smiling smiley

I've been printing more pieces for my 15mm sci-fi tabletop gaming. This one is about 3cm wide and has a coat of primer on.

It's from this set: [www.thingiverse.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login