Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can I make a Fisher without reprappro parts?

Posted by StupendousMan 
Can I make a Fisher without reprappro parts?
January 17, 2016 04:31PM
I want to build a Fisher-type machine, with improvements I've seen here. Carbon rods especially.

Does it make any sense, now that original parts are unavailable? What can't I get or make? Hot end?
Re: Can I make a Fisher without reprappro parts?
January 17, 2016 05:44PM
The fisher is mostly standard hardware, and of course you will need to print and laser cut the parts, the only things I can think of that are not common or can be made via printer or laser cutter are.....

hot end
19V fan
threaded balls

RepRapPro Mendel 3 Tricolour
RepRapPro Fisher
-Carbon Arms
-Easy adjust Carriage+effector
-axis stiffness mods
HE3D -600 delta
-Duet 0.8.5
-PanelDue
-DC42 Height probe
-RobotDigg metal components
Simplyfy3D
RS Design Spark CAD
January 17, 2016 06:52PM
The fan and PSU could be replaced by 12V or 24V ones. The hot end could be replaced by an E3Dv6, with suitable modifications to the effector. And I guess the acrylic panels could be replaced by plywood. You could also ask emakershop for the laser cut parts - it's run by Jean-Marc, the director of RepRapPro who did most of the design of the Fisher.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2016 06:55PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 18, 2016 04:20AM
Hello StupendousMan,

dc42 is correct, I have a few of most components in stock, certainly enough to make up a Fisher. I am gradually listing parts on my page on eMAKERshop, but if there are specific items you need which aren't yet listed, please let me know.

eMAKER-blue-2.png

[emaker.io]

[emaker.limited]
PRZ
January 18, 2016 06:33AM
For panels, plywood will be a much better solution than the original acrylic, to be coated with solvent base paint to lock humidity exchange and improve stability.
The specific hobbed insert could be found at Think3DPrint3D (or yet at emaker)
Specific bowden brass end may be difficult to found.
And that special hotend, light, small and attached by its bottom.

Then you have parts which may be difficult to supply.
Round standoff could be replaced by hex one, and that works (used on D-Box)
You need 15 balls 6mm diameters, M3 tapped. You could buy them at animation/stop motion shop for 1 £ each, shipping not included. Alternatively, for 1/3 of the total cost, you could buy in China 1 kg of these balls (thats more than 1000) and setup a stop/motion shop… here [www.alibaba.com]

There are 9 to 10 different screw size. No asortment will have all screws, you will have to place a specific order.
The three bed springs may be found in asortment at 12 Euros the set.
The rest is standard, you may replace the AT belts by GT2 type.

About the hotend.
It is key in the design because of its low weight, compactness and the fact it is attached by its bottom. Replacing it by a traditional metal one (E3D or hexagon) will increase significantly the weight and decrease the usable height by ~30mm.
You may use Kossel like effector with a J-head, which is good because it is lighter than all-metal, but still, you may loose ~25mm in usable height and the ability to print PETG.
And you shall find a solution for part cooling, really needed for PLA.

There is a compact effector for a small delta printer, which is using an hexagon hotend, this is the effector of the micro-delta by e-motion tech. It is heavy, but the micro-delta is not as fast as the Fisher. They supply the STL file somewhere.
[www.youtube.com]
That may be the simplest solution yet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2016 10:26AM by PRZ.
January 18, 2016 09:43PM
disagree about using plywood, if you construct your axes in a way that eliminates any forces on the side panels, then Acrylic is perfectly OK.

The fisher 1 fixed the side panel issue at the top, but Im not too convinced that its fully fixed at the bottom, if you look at my build notes I used modified motor mounts that ensured the axes took all the vertical forces.

RepRapPro Mendel 3 Tricolour
RepRapPro Fisher
-Carbon Arms
-Easy adjust Carriage+effector
-axis stiffness mods
HE3D -600 delta
-Duet 0.8.5
-PanelDue
-DC42 Height probe
-RobotDigg metal components
Simplyfy3D
RS Design Spark CAD
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login