Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Few questions from somebody clueless

Posted by Klebbin_Fisher 
Few questions from somebody clueless
June 19, 2016 08:18AM
Hi,

I've inherited one of the original Fisher Pro printer kits and managed to put it together (with great difficulty), having some issues with connecting to it now.

I am running Ubuntu on my PC. I have the Fisher connected connected to mains via power cable and connected to router via ethernet. Lights on and fan spinning.

I have copied the firmware to the SD card, inserted into the duet and tried to connect via [reprapprofisher] and page not found. Tried connecting via router an directly, page not found.

Now trying to work my way through troubleshooting:

[reprappro.com]

It seems to focus on connecting via USB. When I connect via USB to my PC lights go on but fan on the printer fan not spinning.

Troubleshooting mentions:

"Duet is listed as a USB or COM port, but can’t connect"

How can I check the duet is listed?

Apologies for the frivolous questions. Anybody able to help?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2016 08:18AM by Klebbin_Fisher.
Re: Few questions from somebody clueless
June 19, 2016 12:33PM
When you connect to the printer via USB, you still have to have printer plugged into a power outlet. Otherwise the motors, heating, fan, etc won't work.
When you try to connect via wireless, do you have your computer and the printer connected to the same router (it has to be on the same LAN)? Did you configure the printer to use DHCP or did you assign static IP. Can you share your config?
lsusb should be able to list connected USB devices on ubuntu.
Also, this thread might be helpful for you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2016 05:30PM by hakimio.
June 19, 2016 04:30PM
Printer and PC connected to same router.

lsusb is seeing the Duet:

Bus 002 Device 005: ID 2341:003e Arduino SA

I have left the config as default. As I understand the bold text make it DHCP.:

; Configuration file for RepRapPro Fisher - delta 3D printer

; Communication and general
M111 S0                             ; Debug off
M550 PRepRapProFisher1		        ; Machine name (can be anything you like)
M551 Preprap                        ; Machine password (used for FTP)
M540 P0xBE:0xEF:0xDE:0xAD:0xFE:0x43 ; MAC Address
;*** Adjust the IP address and gateway in the following 2 lines to suit your network
M552 P0.0.0.0                  ; IP address
;M554 P192.168.1.14                   ; Gateway
M553 P255.255.255.0                 ; Netmask
M555 P2                             ; Set output to look like Marlin
G21                                 ; Work in millimetres
G90                                 ; Send absolute coordinates...
M83                                 ; ...but relative extruder moves

; Axis and motor configuration
M569 P0 S1							; Drive 0 goes forwards
M569 P1 S1							; Drive 1 goes forwards
M569 P2 S1							; Drive 2 goes forwards
M569 P3 S1							; Drive 3 goes forwards
M569 P4 S1							; Drive 4 goes forwards
M574 X2 Y2 Z2 S1					; set endstop configuration (all endstops at high end, active high)
;*** The homed height is deliberately set too high in the following - you will adjust it during calibration
M665 R81.0 L160.0 B75 H169			; set delta radius, diagonal rod length, printable radius and homed height
M666 X0.0 Y0.0 Z0.0  			; put your endstop adjustments here
M92 X87.489 Y87.489 Z87.489  		; Set axis steps/mm
M906 X800 Y800 Z800 E1000			; Set motor currents (mA)
M201 X4000 Y4000 Z4000 E4000		; Accelerations (mm/s^2)
M203 X15000 Y15000 Z15000 E9000		; Maximum speeds (mm/min)
M210 Z50                               ; Homing feedrate
M566 X1200 Y1200 Z1200 E1200		; Maximum instant speed changes mm/minute

; Thermistors
M305 P1 R4700                   	

; Tool definitions
M140 H-1                            ; Disable heatbed
M563 P0 D0 H1                       ; Define tool 0
G10 P0 S210 R-273                        ; Set tool 0 operating and standby temperatures
M301 H1 P12 I0.4 D80 W180 B300      ; Set tool 0 PID parameters
M92 E310 	                       	; Set to 137 for direct drive. Set extruder steps per mm

;// Z probe and compensation definition
;*** If you have an IR zprobe instead of a switch, change P4 to P1 in the following M558 command
M558 P4 X0 Y0 Z0 H4					; Z probe is a switch and is not used for homing any axes
G31 X0 Y0 Z-0.1 P200			; Set the zprobe height and threshold (put your own values here)

;*** If you are using axis compensation, put the figures in the following command
M556 S78 X0 Y0 Z0                   ; Axis compensation here
June 19, 2016 06:51PM
Now that you now which USB port it is, can you load Pronterface on your PC and connect to the Duet?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
June 20, 2016 07:38AM
Thanks for the reply. I have loaded Pronterface on my PC.

My printer now shows as online. Testing movement in X, Y, and Z by clicking on the 1x, 1y, and 1z not resulting in any movement from the printer.
June 20, 2016 09:50AM
Some dude on #reprap suggested I trigger each stopend in turn then send M119, below is the output from the terminal:

>>> m119
SENDING:M119
Endstops - X: at min stop, Y: at min stop, Z: not stopped
>>> m119
Endstops - X: at min stop, Y: not stopped, Z: not stopped
>>> m119
Endstops - X: at min stop, Y: not stopped, Z: not stopped

He said looks dodgy but could not help further.
June 20, 2016 10:39AM
OK done some rejigging and now on triggering each endstop the the relevant axis shows "at min" and the other two "not stopped".

Not sure how that helps me.
June 20, 2016 11:29AM
Also noticed that when I click any of the home buttons I am getting the below kinds of errors:

Macro file homeall.g not found
Attempting to extrude with no tool selected

Which is strange as I have the latest SD card image from github so would be surprised if something was missing:

[github.com]
June 20, 2016 12:02PM
Klebbin_Fisher
Also noticed that when I click any of the home buttons I am getting the below kinds of errors:

Macro file homeall.g not found
Attempting to extrude with no tool selected

Which is strange as I have the latest SD card image from github so would be surprised if something was missing:

[github.com]

If it's looking for homeall.g then your printer is not configured as a delta, because for a delta printer it should look for homedelta.g. There are at least the following possibilities:

1. Your SD card image is not correct. If you got it from my repo, then you need to rename folder sys-Fisher to sys. You can delete the other sys-xxx folders, they are for other sorts of 3D printer.

2. Your SD card image is correct, but the SD card is not being read at startup. Run M105 to see if the SD card can be read. If it responds with the contents of config.g, then run M906 with no parameters to check that the motor currents are the same as commanded in config.g. If they are then the SD card was read at startup,

3. You are running firmware that does not support delta printers, such as the last release (1.09) that RepRapPro has in their repository. If you read the Fisher instructions, you will see that they tell you to use my firmware fork instead. Run M115 to see which firmware version you are running.

Resources you may find useful:

My RepRapFirmware repository: [github.com]

What the config.g and homing files mean: [reprap.org]

If you need to re-flash the firmware on your board, then see the instructions for doing that on the RepRapPro site.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
June 23, 2016 04:24PM
A bit late, but here is another idea if you still can't get it to work. If you have ethernet (wired) and wireless connection on your computer, you can connect the printer to your computer using crossover ethernet cable and then enable wireless connection sharing through the crossover cable.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login