Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Replacement connecting rods?

Posted by racitup 
Replacement connecting rods?
July 05, 2023 12:36PM
Hello all,

First post here and bit of a newb!
I have access to an ageing Fisher Delta and the acrylic head connecting rod ends are warping quite badly, so much that they are becoming loose on the ball caps.

I was wondering if anyone knew/had tried replacing them with metal rods with ball joints? They will obviously be much more robust, accurate and longer lasting.
Something like this with some M4 threaded rod:
[www.amazon.co.uk]

May need to widen the carriages and head to use the bolts the other way around and have the ball joints pressed against the plastic (with a washer).

Thanks in advance!
Richard
Re: Replacement connecting rods?
July 08, 2023 10:55AM
So, after my first post I did some more digging and found Haydn Huntley's idea about using magnetic ball ends with carbon fibre tubular rods.
I'm going to try using the existing ball ends and just replace the rods.
The neodymium magnets are ordered and cap ends designed, I will post my results.

Here's his website:
[www.magballarms.com]
July 10, 2023 01:03PM
Hmm, the problem I have now is the ball caps are stainless steel so not magnetic. Trying to source some M3 6mm steel ball caps...
July 15, 2023 05:02PM
If anyone knows where there is a supplier of steel/magnetic threaded balls, preferably in the UK, please let me know. Even the ones on ebay claiming to be kossel 10mm steel magnetic balls also say they are stainless steel, which is not magnetic...
July 16, 2023 02:56AM
Stainless steel can be either magnetic or non magnetic depending on the alloy used. I use magnetic ones from Haydn Huntley.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
July 25, 2023 04:34PM
Huh, you learn something new every day!

Stainless steels
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login