Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can you print me a part from a CAD drawing?

Posted by stownley 
Can you print me a part from a CAD drawing?
November 05, 2011 11:09PM
It this point I don't want to buy a machine, but would like some custom parts printed and I asked the following question on an auction for a set of parts for sale on Trademe:

Q: Can you print me a part from a CAD drawing? It's about 20mm x 40mm ABS if poss

A: Not related to this auction. ask on the New Zealand reprap forums. I dont use ABS. [forums.reprap.org]

ellensp (118 )

I'm still looking for someone to quote to print some parts and interested as to why the responder would say not to use ABS, with no knowledge of the application of the parts smiling smiley
Re: Can you print me a part from a CAD drawing?
November 06, 2011 01:30AM
I said no simply because I don't use ABS. Its stinks when being used, and is petrochemical derivative... basically not a nice plastic to use. But in saying that It does have some advantages over PLA, but not enough to make me want to use it.

I didn't elaborate on this, as my auction is not the correct medium to discuss this.

Step one. I would upload some images of the cad thing you want, or if its not copyright etc, post the .stl file (thats the format we need) Some things are not realistically printable with the technology, ie things with large overhangs or other attempts to print in free space. Posting an image will allow us to determine if its even practical. And for anyone interested calculate costs etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2011 01:31AM by Dust.
Re: Can you print me a part from a CAD drawing?
November 07, 2011 02:36AM
Dust Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I said no simply because I don't use ABS. Its
> stinks when being used, and is petrochemical
> derivative... basically not a nice plastic to use.
> But in saying that It does have some advantages
> over PLA, but not enough to make me want to use
> it.
>
> I didn't elaborate on this, as my auction is not
> the correct medium to discuss this.
>
> Step one. I would upload some images of the cad
> thing you want, or if its not copyright etc, post
> the .stl file (thats the format we need) Some
> things are not realistically printable with the
> technology, ie things with large overhangs or
> other attempts to print in free space. Posting an
> image will allow us to determine if its even
> practical. And for anyone interested calculate
> costs etc.

I second this, I won't use ABS either due to not wanting the fumes in my house. But if you want it in PLA contact me via my website.

[www.acronum.com]

I do do some custom prints for someone here in Nelson although I don't actually advertise it yet for my own reasons

November 08, 2011 03:33AM
For the size of part you are talking about it might be reasonable to have a commercial enterprise print it. We have a commerical machine at my work if you want a commercial quote email my work address on andrew.rodger@weltec.ac.nz

ABS is not that bad guys they make Kids Lego from it after all! The UP! printer runs exclusively on it as do most commercial printers (Stratasys). If you want a toxic plastic melt some guttering or downpipe sometime (PVC)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login