Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Newbie WolfStrap build in Christchurh

Posted by sb 
sb
Newbie WolfStrap build in Christchurh
November 11, 2011 12:32AM
Hi,
I slowly started building a WolfStrap. I currently have the horizontal frame done.
I wasn't able to find *straight* drawer runner at the Bunnings Warehouse :-/ (it's bent at the end) but it should work ...
I'm going for the timing belts version but it's still not 100% clear how I'm going to fix the moving bed to the belt. I was thinking of sandwitching the belt to the bed.

Did anyone build a similar Wolfstrap ?
Pictures of the bottom of the horizontal frame / bed with belt are more than welcome !

Also I'm not 100% sure for the belt and sprocket (going to Wilson Bros Ltd next week) :
o t5-840-5, t5-1380-5 are for Prusa/Mendel but I assume it should work for the Wolfstrap which requires 840mm×5mm T5 pitch timing belt & 900mm×5mm T5 pitch timing belt ;
o I got no idea what sprocket I should use with these belts
Help and advice are more than welcome !
sb
Re: Newbie WolfStrap build in Christchurh
November 11, 2011 02:46PM
Prusa uses a 900 & a 840 belt where as a Original Mendel uses a 900, 840 & 1380 belt, all are available from Wilson's. You could just get someone to print some sprockets for you. Dust is in Christchurch or I could do some here in Nelson and post them to you

November 15, 2011 02:55PM
The Prusa is so well documented, and not too expensive, I would recommend going straight for the Prusa rather than Wolfstrap.

But there is definitely something to be said about the process of building from 'scratch', Strap to Rap etc. Feel free to post some pics, and I'm sure we'll all help you out as you go along.
sb
November 18, 2011 05:27PM
Steppers, belts & sprockets are on their way. Wilson Bros had only 10 tooth sprockets. I will check what parameters need to be adjusted to take this difference into account. If not possible I might ask for printed sprockets. I'm trying to do it from scratch as much as possible: I'm not in a hurry and it's a lot of fun.
November 18, 2011 08:59PM
10 tooth isnt a issue, you just recalculate the x and y steps for your firmware.

normally 8 (tooth) * 5 (t5 belts) = 40mm per revolution
(1.8 degree stepper is) 200 (steps per revolution) * (1/16 micro stepping) 16 = 3200 (steps per revolution)

so 3200/40 = 80 steps per mm

But for you its

3200/50 = 64 steps per mm

Presuming you have standard parts.
November 18, 2011 11:24PM
I didnt start with a wolf strap, but I did repstrap with a McWire Cartesian Bot 1.2

Same sort of thing, thread driven... very slow. But worked

See my old blog posts..

[dustsreprap.blogspot.com]
sb
November 22, 2011 03:26AM
Just got belts and sprockets from Wilson Bros and I'm just wondering the easiest way to couple stepper shaft and sprocket considering that there is no clamp system on sprocket side. Will take some picture of a sprocket tomorrow. I'm afraid I will have to find someone to CNC it :-/ I might fail over rep-raped sprocket depending on how difficult it is to solve this issue.
November 23, 2011 12:50AM
Hi,
You should not need a CNC machine to fix the sprocket to shaft. Drill and tap the sprocket perpendicular to shaft axis, then insert grub screw
(suggest M3), If the stepper shaft has no flat on it you can file a flat on it if you are careful, make sure you seal around the shaft with tape so you get no swarf in the motor when filing.

All the tools you need are: drill ( ideally drill press, but hand drill ok if you are careful), M3 Tap, 2.5mm drill( better check this size is correct), file, vice, tap holder or small adjustable spanner, tape.

Best of luck.

regards
Andrew
November 23, 2011 01:09AM
Can I ask how much you paid for the aluminium pulleys and what size they are (how many teeth)?

thanks

November 23, 2011 02:51PM
@DieCast dude : Good idea, I will do that, thks
@NelsonRap : 17NZD a pulley :-S, 10 tooth, 1inch width
November 24, 2011 12:36AM
Thanks

Click here to login